Old January 10th 18, 08:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Mad Roger

Default Drum brakes - do you disconnect the parking brake cable?

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 14:19:19 -0500,
Tekkie+AK4- wrote:

> I predicted this would happen...

If simply responding truthfully, and providing referenced facts for my
response is bothering you, I'll drop out now.

I do thank those who provided advice, and I comprehended *all* the advice,
all of which was helpful.

Mostly to Clare Snyder, I appreciate his advice, born of experience, where
he is correct that pretty much any shoe that is OEM quality will work
unless they lie and, to Clare's point, the specs can lie too.

To Clare's point on the gouges, let's forget about that since the actual
spec from the manufacturer is almost impossible to find, and all that Clare
found essentially said zero (where to them, zero is 0.000080", which is
pretty darn close to zero, I agree).

Besides, my drums are fine so the gouges are just an aside where I merely
state that finding a manufacturer's spec on them for *rotors* is damn near
impossible (but it can be done) and when I did that, I was shocked at how
huge they were (for rotors!). I never found a spec for drums so I'll stick
with Clare's "zero" for now - which is fine.

Regarding the cylinders, I saw the post of "how would you know", where
that's a question that is actually insinuating more than it's asking - but
the direct answer is so simple that everyone already knows it.
1. Visual inspection
2. Mechanical inspection
3. Measurements

That's how you know *anything* needs to be repaired, so the question is
moot, as you can't do #3 or even much of #2 or #1 without taking it apart
and if you take it apart, you may as well rebuild it, which is likely what
I'll do.

Regarding the procedure, I think I have it down now, where all I need to do
is do it, so there won't be much (if anything) to report back until I buy
the pads, the repair kit, and do the job.

Thanks for all your advice and help, and please do realize that my only
differences with Clare are that he trusts certain things more than I do and
I trust certain things more than he does - but I understand and agree with
all his points.

I will chide anyone who puts "E" pads or shoes on a vehicle, and I always
have, since E is the friction coefficient of steel on steel (that's a
fact).

Nothing wrong with E pads if E is the OEM pad, but if the Oem pad is F, G,
or H, (most likely F though as G and H are less common), then putting an E
on is below the manufacturer's spec.

The nearest Toyota is 50 miles round trip, so I am on the phone with dealer
after dealer trying to get just one of them to open up a box to tell me
what is printed on the shoes. I'll report back what they tell me if I can
convince one of them to open a box and look.

Thanks! If I don't report back - it will be because I have no new
information for you. Thanks!