Old January 9th 18, 06:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

Default Drum brakes - do you disconnect the parking brake cable?

On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 4:56:59 PM UTC-10, Clare Snyder wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 01:18:54 -0000 (UTC), Mad Roger
> > wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 17:16:46 -0500,
> > Clare Snyder wrote:
> >
> >> In all my years as a mechanic I always unhooked the e-brake linkage
> >> from the cable on that style, and removed the whole assembly from the
> >> backinplate as shown in your last picture - then reassebled with
> >> whatever new parts were required.

> >When I googled, that's one of the methods I found people use, although most
> >seem to replace them, one shoe at a time (because they remarked they'd try
> >the full-removal method next time).
> >
> >This guy did the full removal, but he completely skipped the removal steps:
> ><https://youtu.be/TywVkpCDcCA?t=288>
> >
> >> Check the cyls closely to make sure
> >> nothing is sticking. Back off the handbrake cabke adjuster so it doies
> >> not screw up the service brake adjustment, and after everything is
> >> re-assembled and adjusted at the wheel end, look after the handbrake
> >> adjustment/adjuster. Make REAL sure the cables are not hanging up
> >> ANYWHERE or you will end up replacing shoes again.

> >Thanks for that advice.
> >
> >> After 20 years it
> >> would not surprise me at all if you need cyls and cables but it IS a
> >> Toyota and they are pretty high quality, dependable vehicles. (I was a
> >> Toyota service manager for 10 years)

> >I wasn't thinking cylinders, but I'm fine with rebuilding them. I've
> >rebuilt master cylinders in the past where it's easy to rebuild a cylinder
> >with the right parts.

> Don't know about the USA but almost impossible to source the rubber
> parts kits here in Canada - and cyls are stupidly cheap compared to
> what they used to be. (labor to rebuild costs as much as a cyl if you
> are paying to have it done)

Cylinder rebuild kits are getting scarce on this rock too. I used to get the kits back in the old days but these days I buy new cylinders. Using new parts when servicing drum brakes doesn't cost much. In my dotage, I don't like dicking around with old parts.