Old January 18th 10, 03:55 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

Default F1 comes to iRacing

(Andrew MacPherson) wrote in
:

(Ruud van Gaal) wrote:

>> Like everything else, being on the cutting edge of cars
>> means you have to have serious skill to be any good with
>> it. I've seen very few.

> The iRacing Dallara isn't very popular on iRacing (so far, perhaps due
> to the A/B+ requirement, perhaps due to the race lengths, or the need
> to buy even more content) but it is very easy to drive with the right
> setup. Mind you, I was five or six seconds off the pace in the races I
> joined this season, which may explain why it was so easy for me to
> stay on the track. I didn't enjoy getting lapped much, but I did enjoy
> the fact that even the longest of tracks became fun to drive... and
> gaining a few points from the fast guys who fell off. :-)
>
> The Top Gear/Richard Hammond segment where he tried to drive an F1 car
> was pretty interesting. Despite his experience in many fast cars he
> struggled a lot with the shift up to insane levels of acceleration and
> grip. But then he also had the whole danger/fear thing to cope with...
> and perhaps the threat of being beaten senseless if he wrecked it.
> It's a lot easier to find the limits when you have an infinite supply
> of cars to break.

And it *was* a car in the year when they reached their peak HP -
normally aspirated (2005). Personally, I would have ignored the neck bit
myself. So you see the track on a tilt and end up with a wider head due
to the bruises on both sides. Who cares, you're in a bleeding F1 car!

> Personally the iRacing F1 announcement left me cold. iRacing already
> has more than enough tracks & vehicles to keep any serious racer happy
> for several lifetimes. I don't subscribe to the view which says
> 'cheerleading' content is what's stopping people joining. The slow
> move towards greater flexibility, and lower pricing, is what's helped
> boost numbers so far. Still, it can't do any harm.

I get the same out of GPL for free. Just less cars.

> I'm more interested in the thought that Spa might (pure guesswork) get
> released at the same time. Apart from The Ring it's the only track I
> really miss from other sims.

The A1 ring isn't a bad track. A bit short however.