Old December 27th 04, 05:30 PM
Mark

The air temperature in the garage was about 50F while I was working but
I suppose the car and fuel may still have been around 40F. Can you say
why you believe the pump could be hard to release at low temperatures?
Is there some close-fitting latch mechanism? I just ordered the new
fuel pump, Pierburg E3000-55290. I noticed there is a model year split
and mine is the earlier model. However the same pump part number is
specified regardless of whether I choose the late model or early model
option on the Overnight Auto Parts website. I hope this pump works!

Woodchuck wrote:
> No tricks, but if the fuel and tank are cold it may be a bit harder

> release the pump.
>
> "Mark" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I have already removed the large nut/ring from the top of the pump

and
> > I was even able to remove the upper assembly. This is the assembly
> > that has the float arm attached to it. When I attempt to remove

the
> > pump from the bottom of the tank it just holds tight. I have the
> > Bentley manual and I am following those directions. The manual

says to
> > turn the pump to the left on the Bayonet connector and remove. I

can
> > get the pump to turn a little back and forth but it definitely will

not
> > come out!
> >
> > Can someone please let me know if there is some kind of trick or
> > expalain how this pump is secured to the tank? Thanks!
> >
> > Background:
> >
> > The car is a 1995 Passat GLX VR6 Sedan with 150,000 miles on the
> > odometer. I was driving down the freeway in about 5F outside temp.
> > The engine suddenly began to hesitate and within about 10 seconds

had
> > completely stopped. Of course I had the car towed into my garage

at
> > home. I briefly believed that the gas line had frozen until I

learned
> > how rare that it is. Now I have completed the checks in the

Bentley
> > manual and determined that the fuel pump motor has simply died. I

have