Old November 28th 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
batty505

Default Help with 1989 Cherokee XJ LTD rough idle and acceleration

Hi

I had similar problems on my lifted 93 YJ, 4.0 liter.
It took awhile to troubleshoot, but after replacing ignition,
wires/starter, emissions, fuel filter, fuel pump, it turned out to be
the OEM factory computer. This was a year after the engine had been
replaced, fuel injectors cleaned, new plugs, wires...

the funny thing was I took it to the local jeep dealer, who couldnt
find out what the problem was. This was after they ran diagnostics,
and checked emissions, and exhaust. <I thought it was the catalytic
converter clogged> and billed me an extra $200 just to tell me nothing
was wrong.

the problems were it didnt matter what the engine condition was, after
running awhile the computer would just short out, and I would be
stranded. It literally was like a lottery as to how long the engine
would run, it could be 2 or 20 minutes before stopping. Symptoms would
be sputtering and misfiring and loss of oil pressure, and then
shutdown.

I think the reals reason that the dealer couldnt find anything wrong
with it was because, if its computer related and the computer talks to
their computer, it creates a false positive effect.
also, I think that experience and training was also key. People with
little experience in diagnostics tend to blame the equipment and not
themselves.

hope this helps.