Old April 22nd 14, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
bob mullen

Default What is the California law regarding dash cam time & placard & location limits?

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 18:07:43 -0400, Retired wrote:

> Are the cameras covered by this law aimed at the driver in the
> vehicle, or aimed at the road in front ? Or what ?

Interestingly, they are aimed forward, through the windshield.
The only part of the driver which is recorded is audio.

It seems the "loop" legally must be 30 seconds, which seems
far too little to be of any use.

Or, maybe I'm wrong, but the "triggering" event is 30 seconds
after a crash?

Can someone explain the 30-second rule?