Old April 22nd 14, 01:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,misc.legal
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

Default What is the California law regarding dash cam time & placard & location limits?

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 13:07:05 -0700, bob mullen
> wrote:

>I'm told there is a law in California that "allows" dash
>cams, but that there are specific "requirements".
>
>I was told that the requirements a
>a. Can only last for 30 seconds (even after a crash)
>b. Can only have video (no audio without a placard)
>c. Can only be on specific spots of the windshield
>
>Googling, I found, I think, the California vehicle codes:
>http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc_index_t.htm
>
>But, I can only find one of the three above, namely:
>a. time limit?
>b. recording disclosure requirement?
>c. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm
>
>Do you know how to find the time limit & disclosure rules?

I find problems with the law and also with the link to the attorney's
comments on it. The law appears to have originally been written to
cover video recordings aimed at monitoring the drivers of things like
taxi's and delivery trucks. As such it made some sense that they
would have a G-force trigger that would save the last 30 seconds,
otherwise it just went away. As I read the law it defines a specific
device, a video event recorder with specific requirements including
the g-force thing. In all of the BS in the law it's clear that the
intent is to not have people sticking the things on the windshield and
blocking their view. So I see two things that eliminate any need to
even follow this law.

1) don't buy a video event recorder. What I mean is, just buy a video
camera that records whatever the hell you want to record for as long
as you want and no g-trigger.

2) after buying it, don't mount it on the windshield, not anywhere.
Mount it on the top of the dash in a place where the driver's view is
not blocked in anyway thru any part of the windshield. If slightly to
the left of center toward the back of the dash in no way obstructs any
part of the windshield from the drivers position then put it there.

If the cops say your are violating the law ask how something that
blocks NONE of the windshield and that does NOT match the specs of the
video event recorder could even be covered by the law. Remember , the
law itself first defines what a video event recorder is and you don't
have one. As long as you haven't blocked any part of teh windshield,
all teh BS about 5 and 7 square inches here there and wherever doesn't
apply. There isn't any law prohibiting video cameras in cars, all
there is is a law saying you can't block the drivers view with
"stuff", plus a specific mention of something you don't own, a video
event recorder. So you don't need to post warning signs for your
passengers either.

I'm not an attorney or judge so no telling how the court or cops would
react when these FACTS are pointed out to them.