Old April 8th 11, 11:26 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw,alt.autos.audi
Zathras

Default What I want vs. what the reality could support

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 01:55:58 -0700 (PDT), AD > wrote:

>On Apr 7, 7:25*pm, Zathras >
>wrote:
>> On 7 Apr 2011 10:44:24 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>> >You're talking about two totally different cars here.

>> What's different apart from the extra turbo, software tweaks and
>> compulsory auto box? I'd be surprised if a 335D would perform hugely
>> better than my manual car on snow covered roads.
>>

>Wheelspin might be easier to induce on ice in 335d :^)

That's an interesting one - the peak torque figure in a 325d arrives
at a lowly 1300rpm whereas on the 335d it comes in at 1750rpm. The
actual peak torque figures are probably irrelevant on ice but what it
means on my car is that if your foot is on the accelerator/gas pedal
at all then you're most likely putting peak torque out the back axle.

Even in the dry, I need good tyres in good condition to avoid
occasional wheel slip away from junctions even on the factory 255
section Michelins. It would not surprise me if the auto 335d with it's
slipping clutches and bands were to be actually easier to get off the
mark without wheel spin. Comparing to a pals 325d auto, his back tyres
last longer than mine but his car takes off at much higher revs than I
let mine normally do.

>Saw a 335d at a tire shop when switching to summer shoes this morning.
>Not sure if it was an auto or a euro car with a stick though.

IFAIK, they are only available as automatics :-( I'm not old enough
(I tell myself) to want that yet. :-) Even 330d cars with manual are
not super common in the UK. That's why I ended up with a 325d. It's
not so bad though as I still get that magnificent I6 and a manual box
to have the most fun with it.