Old May 7th 12, 09:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
David Gravereaux

Default valve lash every other week, GRRR

Just venting...

Motor is stock down under with EMPI 3417 merged header exhaust, Weber
ICH dual carbs and SCAT 1.25 ratio rockers. It runs great 'cept I
forgot to change the front engine seal when I had the flywheel turned,
thus it drips quite a bit.. I'll pull it sometime and fix it. Oil temp
even on hot days on the highway never pass 215F ever. The cooling
effect of dual carbs is amazing.

Why the hell do I have to keep adjusting valve lash all the time? I
just did 120 mile road trip yesterday and could hear a valve tightening
up on me and adding the off-beat to the engine sound. I'm doing .004"
when dead cold.

Last time it was intake #1 got tight. This time, intake #1 again with
ext#3 and ext#1 also tight. GRRRR.

Years ago, I told my mother not to get a Porsche 912 becuase, "It'll be
in the shop every other week to have the valves adjusted".

I am my own advice now.