Old July 30th 09, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mark G7#9

Default 2K GT engine problem (with video)

On Jul 29, 5:10*pm, Brent > wrote:
> On 2009-07-29, Mark G7#9 > wrote:

> >> It takes awhile for the code to show up. On that '99 it didn't show up
> >> right away. When a coolant was shorting one of the plugs on my '97 it
> >> took miles of driving and purposely accelerating hard enough to make it
> >> happen before the MIL came on.- Hide quoted text -

> > I've Googled this issue and some say that rethreading is only
> > temporary. Called the local Ford dealer and he also said that usually
> > they replace the head (a couple of grand he told me).

> > Is replacing the head something I can do in the garage? How much will
> > it cost for 2K GT?
> > I don't want to junk it just yet since I just had a new clutch kit put
> > in and new tires as well :-(

> I put a regular sparkplug helicoil in an '89 MX-6 GT (that's a turbo
> charged car), and was fine for the rest of the car's life.- Hide quoted text -

You guys were right. The plug closest to the passenger is out. The
coil boot is shredded but the coil itself looks ok.
How can I tell if the threads are damaged or is it a given? (It's hard
to see into that far hole.) Should I just try to install a new plug
and see if it's tight. I did find a local guy that said he'll put a
new helicoil for around $200 plus I'll need about $100 for tow.