Old July 31st 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe Pfeiffer

Default A/C causes fuse to blow

Fred > writes:

> 1994 Ford Mustang GT 5.0. Had it for 12 years and in GREAT shape! A/C has
> always been wonderful until this hot summer it started acting intermitant.
> Cold for 10 min, no cooling for 10 min, cold again... weird... Today it
> just QUIT, but I noticed my console clock was out! AHA! A FUSE! Sure
> enough my #6 AC Clutch coil fuse was blowing out. replaced and clock comes
> on, but when I switch on the AC I hear the compresor kick in and after 2
> seconds the fuse blows again, and again and again. tried a 20 amp fuse
> also but blew that too....
>
> Any ideas on what's up? I am not a car guy and don't want to get rippedoff
> from the local AC shop or even worse the dreaded DEALER... Think it's a
> simple fix, or....? THANKS all for any ideas!

My guess would be failed (shorted) compressor clutch coil. If you're
not a car guy, take it in for fixing.

Note: if a fuse suddenly starts blowing, don't put in a bigger fuse.
Figure out what's broken, because something has, and tha fuse is
trying to protect your wiring.