Old July 30th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dear Leader

Default A/C causes fuse to blow

"Fred" > wrote in message
> 1994 Ford Mustang GT 5.0. Had it for 12 years and in GREAT shape! A/C
> has
> always been wonderful until this hot summer it started acting intermitant.
> Cold for 10 min, no cooling for 10 min, cold again... weird... Today it
> just QUIT, but I noticed my console clock was out! AHA! A FUSE! Sure
> enough my #6 AC Clutch coil fuse was blowing out. replaced and clock comes
> on, but when I switch on the AC I hear the compresor kick in and after 2
> seconds the fuse blows again, and again and again. tried a 20 amp fuse
> also but blew that too....
>
> Any ideas on what's up? I am not a car guy and don't want to get
> rippedoff
> from the local AC shop or even worse the dreaded DEALER... Think it's a
> simple fix, or....? THANKS all for any ideas!
>
> Fred

you probably need a new compressor, the seals ware out over time, put metal
crap into the freon, pull more on the fan clutch etc.
If this is the orgional compressor, you did fine! Time for another one, it
could be lifetime guarentee on it.
You can replace the fan clutch yourself, it is a bolt on. But the part is
too simple to fail in such a fashion I think.

But you can find the electrical diagrams online and see what else goes
through the fuse too

Good luck

93 5.0 8# rebuilt engine and fast
89 5.0