Old January 28th 06, 09:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Darn! My '94 Del Sol failed the California Smog Check today

TeGGeR® wrote:
> California checks your ignition timing as part of the test, doesn't it?

theyre *supposed* to. whether the mechanic can read the marks correctly
is another story. and if it was done at a "test only" station, they
arent allowed to fix it, and arent even supposed to suggest a cause.

> Then we can rule that out.
>
> Possible causes:
> EGR passage to the EGR valve carboned up

on my MG, the actual EGR valve was faulty. i applied vacuum to it with a
mityvac hand pump, or TRIED to. wouldnt work. took it off and inspected,
the diaphragm was split.

> Fuel pressure regulator weak
> Rich-biased oxygen sensor
>
> I'd run a bottle or two of Techron through it for the next week or so (just
> to make sure the injectors and valve tops are reasonably clean) and then
> take it back for a retest. If it still fails on the same thing, clean the
> EGR passages.

id vote for the timing being off.