Old January 28th 06, 05:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Darn! My '94 Del Sol failed the California Smog Check today

"'Curly Q. Links'" > wrote
> DavidK wrote:
> >
> > After having passed the California smog check for 2

tests (4 years) in a
> > row, my stock '94 Del Sol ("S" model with 1.5L engine)

failed today. :-(
> > It's the first time I've ever had any car fail the Smog

Check, in 20 years
> > of living in California.
> >

> <SNIP>
>
> Just for kicks, change the PCV (since they never get

changed) along with
> using the injector cleaner. Anybody else think that will

help?

> If the
> PCV is wacky, doesn't the computer 'misread' some of it's

variables?

From my reading and experience, yes, typically causing an
overly rich fuel mixture and so causing fuel mileage to
decline. But as I think we've discussed in the past, it's
the CO reading that should be out of spec for a bad PCV
valve.

A malfunctioning EGR system, among other things, is said to
be a possible cause of the high NOX. See
http://www.aircare.ca/index.php?repinfo-glossary.php ,
especially the "Causes of Excess Emissions" part. See also
http://www.interro.com/techgas.html#anchoreleven

But I agree that, if this is the original PCV valve, it's
due for replacement, if only for the sake of maximizing fuel
mileage and minimizing the chance of oil leaks.