Old January 27th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Darn! My '94 Del Sol failed the California Smog Check today

"DavidK" > wrote in
om:

> Hello and thanks for all the responses. Here are all of the
> Emmission Test Result numbers from my failing test report:
>
> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
>
> Line 1:
>
> Test=15mph
> RPM=1727
> %CO2 meas=15.6

Good number there. Means the catalytic converter is successfully converting
the CO into CO2.

> %02 meas=0.0

Good. Means the cat is soaking up oxygen properly, so it's in good shape.
It also suggests you don't have an exhaust leak.

> HC (PPM) MAX=92, AVE=21, MEAS=13

Low number there. You're probably running lean.

> CO (%) MAX=0.55, AVE=0.06, MEAS=0.03

You're running a bit lean.

> NO (PPM) MAX=716, AVE=150, MEAS=991

California checks your ignition timing as part of the test, doesn't it?
Then we can rule that out.

Possible causes:
EGR passage to the EGR valve carboned up
Fuel pressure regulator weak
Rich-biased oxygen sensor

I'd run a bottle or two of Techron through it for the next week or so (just
to make sure the injectors and valve tops are reasonably clean) and then
take it back for a retest. If it still fails on the same thing, clean the
EGR passages.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ