Old January 27th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Darn! My '94 Del Sol failed the California Smog Check today

Hello and thanks for all the responses. Here are all of the Emmission Test
Result numbers from my failing test report:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Line 1:

Test=15mph
RPM=1727
%CO2 meas=15.6
%02 meas=0.0
HC (PPM) MAX=92, AVE=21, MEAS=13
CO (%) MAX=0.55, AVE=0.06, MEAS=0.03
NO (PPM) MAX=716, AVE=150, MEAS=991
FAIL
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Line 2:

RPM=1904
%CO2 meas=15.5
%02 meas=0.0
HC (PPM) MAX=57, AVE=13, MEAS=11
CO (%) MAX=0.54, AVE=0.05, MEAS=0.02
NO (PPM) MAX=764, AVE=136, MEAS=354
PASS
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

-DK

"DavidK" > wrote in message
. com...
> After having passed the California smog check for 2 tests (4 years) in a
> row, my stock '94 Del Sol ("S" model with 1.5L engine) failed today. :-(
> It's the first time I've ever had any car fail the Smog Check, in 20 years
> of living in California.
>
> I have never made any modifications to the engine, and I take it in for
> regular maintenance according to the maintenance schedule. It has been
> about 6500 miles since its last oil change, and I don't use any pour-in

fuel
> additives. It is running normally with no noticeable engine problems.
>
> Here in California the DMV has recently made the Smog Check test more
> sophisticated, using a 'dynamometer' (treadmill) to test the car under

load.
> They test the car at a simulated 15mph and at 25mph. They also added a

NOX
> (nitrous oxide) emissions check, and that's the one that my car failed,

but
> only at 15mph.
>
> As for my other emissions test results, my Del Sol had extremely low CO2,
> O2, HC and CO emissions at both 15mph and 25mph, but failed the Nitrous
> Oxide (NOX) test at 15mph. In fact, the NOX emission was about 3 times
> higher at 15mph than at 25mph, which seems counter-intuitive. I had

driven
> the car at least 15 miles before arriving at the test facility, so it was
> well warmed-up.
>
> Has anyone else seen this kind of failure with an older Honda Civic or Del
> Sol? If so, what was the culprit? I'm trying to get an idea how much

it's