Old April 4th 10, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

Default Reducing Intake Air Temps

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> 2) I have a header (no heat shield), does the muffler tape (thermal wrap) do
> much to alleviate under hood temps?

If it's stock, put the heat shield back on. If not, make one. The forum
is full of stories of tape wraps eventually causing header rot.

> 5) I believe my best bet is a 'Randal Cowl' type of set up pulling air from
> behind the firewall however, I'm trying to minimize my cost for this
> improvement and think this might entail buying allot of stuff.

Yes, the Randall is the best solution. Plenty of owners have made DIY
versions cheaply, and while they're probably not as efficient as the FM
product, they have to be better than any scheme involving a cone filter.
Hope you still have your OEM airbox. Search miataforum for examples.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO