Old May 3rd 05, 03:49 PM
Tom Nakashima

"Jim Adney" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 May 2005 10:53:27 -0500 "Lynn Martin"
> > wrote:
>
> >I just got some new Kuhmo Tires, 165/80/15, (great deals for $26 a piece

on
> >the net!) for my 1974 Superbeetle.
> >
> >Anyhow, I am going to get them mounted/etc. The "recommended tire
> >pressure" listed on the glove compartment door says Front - 18 psi and

Rear
> >29 psi. This seems too low to me, especially in the front tires.

> The sticker is correct. You could add a couple of pounds to each,
> especially if the car is heavily loaded, but don't inflate it the same
> as your Chevy. The reason the front tires get so little pressure is
> that they have so little weight on them.
>
> -
> Jim Adney
> Madison, WI 53711 USA

It was overwhelming for me when I first saw the listed tire pressure for my
'66 bug. I had to question the settings also, when I was used to inflating
the tires on my other vehicles at 32 psi. I'm putting in 20 psi front, and
28 psi rear in my Bug. My car handles better and rides a lot smoother at
these tire pressures, however I'm not a racer and never intended to drive
the VW fast.
Rob and Dave's VW website have experimented with tire pressures, I also got
to speak with Rob by phone not only on tires but other related VW matters as
well. I really like Rob for his expertise and honesty on VW's. Since he's
done most of the research, I'll trust his recommendations.
http://www.vw-resource.com/tires.html#pressure
-tom