Old May 3rd 05, 10:09 AM
Jan Andersson

tricky wrote:

> I may have been wrong for years... I learned ( I think from the AA
> (AAA) ) that before a long journey, to put a couple of extra pounds in
> your tyres. When they warm up, they soften and need more air.

Air is a gas, which when heated, expands.
On race cars, tire pressures are sometimes critical. You put a certain
pressure in the tires before the race,
and when you immediately measure the tire pressure during the first
seconds of pitstop, you will find that the tire pressures have increased
by 50% easily.
Granted, in that environment the race slicks also get much hotter than
you'd ever see your street tires get...

Jan (Race car mechanic)