Old May 10th 12, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Default New PC's FFB

FolkGT:
Mario Petrinovic:
>FolkGT:
>Mario Petrinovic:
>> If I put it (unchecked) in iRacing at 0% and at 100%, there is a
>> lot
>>of difference. 100% is "true way", 101% isn't, and 99% isn't.

>That seems odd to me. If the option is unchecked, then the strength
>should be ignored. To put another way, the strength only applies if
>you're actually using the option. Maybe a bug in iRacing's interaction
>with the Logitech API?
>
> No, some other guy said that it is "known bug". IOW, he thought
> that
>this is a bug, but if you read carefully, you realize that this isn't a
>bug.
>It is confusing, though (just like about everything regarding FFB), and
>somebody should provide some credible explaination, but I am afraid, if
>anybody is trying to explain FFB, he would be in danger to reveal some FFB
>shortcomings, and this would deter people from using FFB, so nobody
>explains
>anything (which actually is the state of things, regarding knowlage about
>FFB).
> BTW, thanks very much for the info from pCARS. This made me retest
>Overall force [...snip...]

Speaking of pCARS, have you considered giving it a try?

http://www.wmdportal.com/about/

10€ gets you monthly builds, 50€ gets you weekly builds and a copy of the
game at launch. and there are other levels in between with other perks.
And if it sells well, that 50€ could turn into 150€ down the road.

It's really an exciting time right now. The FFB is being completely
rebuilt, and the last update hinted at great things to come. The design
we're going for allows the driver to adjust a great many FFB factors so
that the game will cater to your individual tastes. The analogy used is
it's like an amplifier where you have different "knobs" to adjust
different aspects of the FFB, just like you can adjust treble, bass, etc.
on an amplifier.

I bet someone like you would have a blast being part of the community and
helping shape the direction of the game.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I was thinking about it lately,
actually, right after reading your previous post I considered it seriously.
I believe soon I'll try it (its hard to find time for everything, though, in
those modern times).
BTW, fimaly I figured out about Centering Spring. It should be at
the same value as Overall. I didn't find it before because they both have to
be at the precise value, otherwise there is no benefit of them being the
same. Thankfully, my last Overall was at close value, so I tested around it.
My last Overall was 109% (the settings were 109/100/100/100), and the value
where they both have to be is 108% (so, "the right" settings are
108/100/100/108). With these new settings I was the first in fixed setup
sessions that I drove today, and even did my personal best without much
trouble. I aldo tried some non-default (non-100%) Spring and Damper
settings, but these were not good. I tried to lower in-game (by the same
percentage moving both, force and damper), and this is good only if you
lower (from maximum) it by little.
Things still aren't absolutely perfect, but I am satisfied.
Interestingly, the same filosofy (of Overall and Centering Spring
being the same, and Damper and Spring at 100%) I had right before iRacing
2.0 edition came out. I was very satisfied with that (only, it was a bit too
light, since at that time Damper was locked at 75%, and nobody new about it,
except iRacing, of course), and thought that I was at the end of my
research, but then came iRacing 2.0 and things became messy again. Probably
it is then that iRacing had put that (WRONG) cockpitLookDeadZone value, and
confused FFB *once AGAIN*. Now, after so much time, I found what was messy,
and now I am waiting for iRacing 3.0, so that iRacing can mess things up
*again* (and again, and again...). Jesus Christ.