Old August 12th 05, 09:59 PM
Mike Smith

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:31:32 -0400, "Amit Joneja" >
wrote:

>Hi:
>
>I'm thinking of buying a A4 Jetta TDI. Just looking for some opinions on
>Manual vs. Auto based on fuel consumption, longevity, maintenance etc..
>
>One of the major maintenance differences that I'm aware of:
>
>- Manual timing belt replace at 96K kms. approx. vs. Auto timing belt at 60K
>kms. approx.
>
>Looking for some info on the following:
>
>- Fuel consumption (L/100 kms.)

42 mpg City / 49 mpg Hwy

(I am too lazy to metric-ize)

>- Longevity

I hear it is better to have a manual tranny for longevity

>- Maintenance

Probably about the same. If one is more than the other I would say an
auto is more high-maintenance. It is foolish to not maintian a
vehicle

>- Any Specific Issues

my shifter broke recently in my 99 TDI at 86K

>- Anything else?

More fun to drive a manual, I like to control the car's shift points
depending on my mood/ and driving conditions.