Old May 13th 05, 11:38 PM
jim beam

yahmed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently took a test drive for a new Corolla and the dealer told me
> it does not require any tuneups for next 12 years or 160000km. All you
> need is regular oil changes (every 6 months or 8000km)
>
> Instead of timing belt, it has timing chain that automatically adjust
> itself with time so no replacements are required. He was not sure about
> water pump.
>
> Just wondering, if he was lying? Are there any other costs like
> radiator fluid chages etc? (I think its a question for Toyota group)
>
> Now I am curious does Civic also comes with these features?
>
> Thanks,

yes, the honda has the same "tuneup" schedule of 100,000 miles, but a
longer oil change interval of 12,000 miles, iirc. check the owners
manual. i expect all other operating factors to be similar.

timing chains have a small advantage on reliability, but are much
inferior in terms of timing drift caused by wear.