Old September 17th 06, 05:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Carrier

Default Adaptive Headlights

"HGL" > wrote in message ...
>I have poor night vision and need all the help I can get. Are adaptive HL
> worth it? Are there other accessories that I could get to help like higher
> intensity bulbs?

Adaptive headlights pivot the beam slightly for turns and curves. Don't
have them myself, but I'd think they'd be useful. HID low beams are a real
plus.

BMW marketed dual Xenon for awhile in which the HID bulb had a mask that
would rotate around the filament when high beam was selected and allow an
HID high beam (the mask effectively removed the sharp cutoff typical in an
HID low beam). These can be found in the aftermarket. Not sure what wiring
issues would be involved.

You can also install higher output Halogen bulbs (if you don't have or don't
want HID), but if the wattage is too great, you'll risk deforming the
housings and lenses from the extra heat and they also might stress the
electrical wiring.

Beware of the blue tint bulbs. Most tend to put out less light than the
somewhat yellowish halogen units.

R / John