Old June 30th 05, 04:54 PM
Ron Herfurth

"micven55" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> While 3000 miles is a short interval it is by no means outrageous. If

you'd
> like all four tires to wear evenly and not develope odd wear patterns then
> you should probably rotate the tires every 5000 miles or less. It's
> preferable to have tires that have the same amount of wear at each corner
> of the car and then replace them 4 at a time. Also, an alignment check
> every 15000 or when the car starts wandering wouldn't hurt.

15,000 ????? with all the pot holes in Virginia if I only "checked"
alignment every 15,000 miles I'd need new tires every 15,000 miles. I'm
figuring I've spent more money on alignments than all other services
combined - about $80 a throw at least once a year for 11 years almost
exceeds the cost of both alternators, all 3 batteries, 6 tires, 2 T-fluid
flushes, 2 radiator flushes, every oil change, a handful of gas and air
filters, 2 sets of pads, and a break shoe in a pear tree. I've wondered if
it would be cheaper to just align it only when I got new tires and replace
them when they wore out from mis-alignment.

The only advantage I see from rotating is all 4 will need replacing at the
same time so there's no confusion later about how old the replacements are
or where you got them. Would you get even wear by just rotating front to
back (but not side to side)?
Ron- 94 SL1 (considering a Cypress Green 06 VUE)