Old June 6th 05, 06:41 PM
Steve

"Orin Day" > wrote in message
> Yesterday night I was driving my 2002 SL2 (35K miles, just out of
> warranty) home and noticed the temp gauge pegged in the red. Yikes!!!
> The fan was running and the engine was running smoothly, so I figured
> thermostat, I was almost home anyway...

<snip>
> Local shop thought it was a sensor associated with the gauge, they ordered
> one. Went to pick it up this afternoon, they said all the sensors were
> fine, that the temp was right around 190, the BCM was sending 190, but the
> gauge refused to read the right temp. As the instrument cluster is a
> single board, their diagnosis was that the gauge was bad on the cluster.
> And that only the dealer could provide a new cluster, probably for about
> $1.2K. Yikes!!! The rest of the instrument panel was tested and is fine.
>
> Needless to say I was not happy, even less happy was my wife (who drives a
> just-out-of-warranty 2001 LW300 when it's not in the shop).
>
> Called the dealer, no help there, they said that they'd never seen a gauge
> fail, but they'd be glad to rediagnose it for another $100 or so before
> replacing the cluster for $500 plus labor plus tax. No help offered,
> despite the low mileage.
>
> So I'm weighing my options. Even if I liked the dealer, they wouldn't be
> getting a grand from me for a gauge!
>
> Used clusters seem to be not much, at least from what I see on eBay, so
> next stop may be my local junkyard. Failing that, perhaps a stand-alone
> gauge?
>
> OD

You might want to give Saturn Customer Service a call (the number should be
in your owner's manual or you should be able to get it from the dealership).
If you're a regular customer of the dealer's service department, as, the
manager or service rep to put in a good word for you with Saturn Customer
Service.