Old July 18th 07, 01:20 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Brian[_23_]

Default Brake issues

On Jul 16, 7:37 pm, Bob G. <rg327_remove_comcast.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:53:33 -0700, Brian >
> wrote:
>

> >I have a 1979 Vette and I have an issue with the brakes. At one time I
> >had brakes and I had all new pads put on as I was having the entire
> >car serviced. I put a new left front caliper on and I had good brakes
> >for about two to three months. I drove the car to Virginia to put it
> >in my families garage as I was getting deployed to Iraq for one year.
> >As I was driving the car to Virginia about 200 miles into the trip I
> >went to pull off and get gas when the brakes failed s the pedal went
> >to the floor. After my deployment I brought it back home, in DE, where
> >I replaced the master cylinder, and the left front caliper and I bled
> >all the brakes and bench bled the master cylinder and I still am
> >unable to get pedal. All calipers are expelling fluid as I bleed them
> >and I realize that there are 2 bleeders in the rear calipers. I am
> >having issues with the fluid coming out of the new caliper but the
> >flex hose has fluid coming out before I put it on the caliper and I
> >can not get any pedal at all. The brake light continues to stay on and
> >I checked to see if I had a bad booster but it seems to be alright as
> >I removed the hose and there is suction and the the brakes get hard
> >until I put the hose back on and the brakes go soft again. Can anyone
> >help me with this issue? Any ideas? Thanks. Brian

> Brian
> Have you had ALL the calibers checked..?
> I have a funny feeling you have one or more that are sucking air into
> the system.. and it is NOT at all uncommon especially if they sit
> unused for a short period of time...
>
> Bob G.
> 64 72 & 98 Ragtops
> 76 & 79 Coupes- Hide quoted text -

Sir, The only thing I did was pull off all of the wheels and look
for leaks and I did not see any spots except for the one that I
replaced. You are correct though, it seems that I can not get a solid
steady stream of fluid without getting air pockets as it seems to be
alright until I do it one more time to make sure all the air is out
but it is really hard to tell if I did a good enough job bleeding the
brakes. I can not seem to find any leaks but there must be something.
I am not really sure what to do next as I am perplexed. I am very
mechanically inclined but this is kicking my butt. Any suggestions on
how to check the system for air leaks other than the obvious? Thanks
for your help and info, it is much appreciated. Brian