Old June 7th 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Default 1994 VW Jetta III 2.0 auto cranks and won't start

REPLIES WITHIN

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> thanks so much for the reply
>
> the hose connecting the reservoir and the engine block was broken, a
> small breech near the connector, but the engine did have a good shower
> of coolant.. last time it stalled, it was when i tried to wash the
> running engine at the car wash, took about half an hour to start and
> run again, this time seems no hope
>
> i fixed the hose, intentionally dumped more coolant and was happy to
> see no traces of oil, so i guess the head gasket is ok.. i filled the
> coolant up and wiped off the excess, and waited a few days for the
> engine to dry then came back and changed the plugs, dist. cap and
> rotor..
>
> yeah i did remote started the car, i used a 8 gauge copper wire to
> jumper the starter's solenoid to battery ( + ) terminal, ignition key
> in ON position, gear in NEUTRAL, same thing, cranks but won't run, at
> least i can conclude that the ign switch is OK

Sounds good

> i then touched the fuel injectors while cranking the engine and they
> are not responsive.. actually i have no idea how the injectors would
> "wiggle" when they are working, at the intake manifold inlet i smelled
> only a faint odor of gasoline

They might click when working and should be working while cranking the
engine over.

> i cleaned all electrical connectors with CRC cleaner and so far
> evrything seems fine but no sparks, no injectors pulses

You cleaned ALL connections?

> yeah haynes manual sucks.. i googled for information and narrowed the
> problems down to the coolant temp sensor, the camshaft sensor, the
> engine speed sensor and the ECU

The camsensor (AKA ign distributor) would/should not cause this problem and
the engine could run with the camsensor disconnected or bad.

> my car has a distributor so i guess the engine speed sensor is only
> for RPM and the ECU wouldn't cut off ignition when it's gone bad, a
> bad camshaft sensor maybe the cause, but then i thought the coolant
> sensor got the most damages during engine overheating and i cringed
> when i thought that maybe the ECU is dead too..

The crank sensor could cause a non-start problem!
I wonder if the needle of the tachometer would jump while cranking the
engine?

> my question is would a faulty coolant sensor cause the ECU to abandon
> ignition and injection? a safety measure perhaps?
> oh and i dont see the check engine light coming on when the ign key is
> ON and prior to cranking... and the OEM alarm wouldnt go off when i
> reconnect the ( - ) terminal... my ECU is dead?

Hmmm that check engine light NOT coming on is a clue!
Start looking at the fuses and relays. But like on a '96 I had, it may
just be a bulb! lol
I don't think a faulty coolant sensor would cause a no-spark problem.
I suppose you don't have a vag-com tool to plug into the ECM. 8^)