Old April 28th 13, 11:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
KWW[_2_]

Default swing axle nuts - Guru advice appreciated.

On 4/28/2013 2:17 AM, wrote:
>> Stood on it about 3' out,...
>> Chris

> A measly 3 feet? LOL
>
> I'm telling you that simply ain't enough, ok?
>
> BTSeenT, no kidding, 3 feet is not enough.
>
> 6 feet is more like it.
>
> And not-springy like a breaker bar and socket neither.
> And the drum and axle needs to be solid too with a long
> lever attached.
>
> Yeah, I know.
>
> "we did it this time and that time and the other time
> and it worked fine"
>
> ....and one time it didn't work fine for Chris, see?
>
> Any motion at all on those splines is bad for 'em.
>
> Alvin in AZ
> AKA: Butthead in AZ
> AKA: Soon to be bear **** in AZ (on rec.guns)
> (told 'em my bear story LOL

But the whole point of Ft-lbs of torque is the force that is applied,
and actually at 3 ft it should have been 495 ft lbs without bouncing if
he actually measured 3 ft out. Granted, to avoid loss of pressure due
to binding and the like the pivot point should have been supported on a
surface directly level with the axle height but at least in theory it
should have been right unless something was not totally together and
falsely indicated that it was tight enough. At least in theory. Been
doing it that way for years.... Maybe he has been losing weight and
didn't realize it.

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---