Old August 25th 20, 05:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
B rye

Default Need HELP REAL BAD with dual KADRON carbs setup please......

On Tuesday, April 23, 2002 at 6:58:45 PM UTC-7, Kevin wrote:
> Howdy,
> This might be a little long but I'll try to keep it as short as I can.
> Got a pair of dual EMPI Solex/Kadron for my 1971 Westfalia.
> They were supposedly returned to RMMW for some reason.
> All hardware was brand new and never used.
> Carbs appeared to have been mounted but still looked brand new with
> all paint still on screws so it was evident that they were not taken
> apart.
> I got a good deal on them so I figured I'd bite the bullet and take a
> chance on them.
> I figured what could go wrong with them that you couldnt fix.
> No instructions to install came with them.
> When I first installed them the left carb poured gas in the carb like
> crazy when it was idling....so it flooded out unless you revved it up.
> Took carb apart and found brass float inside.
> When I shook float it was full of gas.
> So I figured problem solved if I bought a new float.
> Bought new float and rebuild kit...got extra ones just in case.
> Put new float, needle & seat and top gasket on.
> Put the carb back on and it runs good.
> BUT when I look in the carbs while it is running every second a drop
> of gas drips in each carb.
> Is that normal for these carbs??
> BUT the real problem comes when I shut the van off.
> The carbs keep dripping gas into the intake and then stops after about
> a minute or so.
> But as you can imagine there is now a lot of gas in the intakes.
> So it is flooded and hard to start.
> If I clamp off the fuel line going to both carbs the van runs much
> better with the gas that is just in the carbs.
> When I look in the carbs they are not dripping now.
> And when I shut it off they do not drip also.
> So here is my dilema.
> And I dont know what to do.
> My questions a
> The screw that is at the base of each carb that is obviosly the
> adjustment for them.......how many turns should i turn them out or in?
> Could my fuel pump (even though it is just the mechanical stock one)
> have to much pressure and pushing to much gas into the carbs?
> Also is the dripping when it is running normal?
> I thought maybe it was the vacume for the power brake booster.
> I have the vacume line going from one intake to the other and a tee in
> the middle for the vacume to the booster.
> It has a one way valve in it that when I took off I can only blow in
> one way so I can only assume it is good.
> And an arrow that says this way to engine so I have it on right.
> At first I thought maybe the vacume from the booster was sucking the
> gas in when I shut the van off.
> But like I said if I clamp the lines and then shut the van off no
> leaks.
> Will these carbs work with the brake booster?
> ALSO and this is a MAJOR question.
> When I put the new float in there was a black plastic piece.
> I put the float in with the pin and then the black plastic piece on
> top off it.
> [...]

have kadrons had to get electric fuel pump make sure u done have any gas leaks and your system holds presure. also rejetedand rebuilt with best kit i could find.look for german or french jets even mexican some after market is real junk