Showing results 1 to 25 of 101
Search took 0.26 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Chris F.
Forum: Technology March 26th 12, 07:40 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 36
Posted By Chris F.
Premature Ball Joint Failure

I see rockauto.com has Moog but also many other brands as well... are there
any other brands that are just as good or better? In particular, how about
Mevotech, Beck-Arnely, or Raybestos?

> but...
Forum: Technology March 26th 12, 03:59 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 36
Posted By Chris F.
Premature Ball Joint Failure

Looking at some sales receipts, I realized that the upper control arms I
installed were part of a kit, which also included the lower ball joints and
inner + outer tie rod ends - for a total of...
Forum: Technology March 25th 12, 08:10 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 36
Posted By Chris F.
Premature Ball Joint Failure

A couple years back I rebuilt my grandmas old '89 Honda Civic. She doesn't
drive anymore, and I rarely drive due to health problems, but my parents
have been use it quite often. A few days ago my...
Forum: Technology May 22nd 10, 03:29 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Chris F.
Air Conditioner Transplant Question

I had to remove the dashboard from my '89 Civic to do some work, and that
was no big deal... I think there were about 5 or 6 bolts to remove and then
it simply lifts out. The steering wheel must be...
Forum: Technology May 21st 10, 11:46 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Chris F.
Air Conditioner Transplant Question

> I would rather take an enema that work under the dash on a small car
> like this..but I am sure you can solve it given a little time and some
> Bandaids.

The factory manual actually specifies...
Forum: Technology May 21st 10, 06:43 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Chris F.
Air Conditioner Transplant Question

Believe it or not, I found a salvage business nearby that sells complete
(salvaged) A/C systems for $50, already removed from vehicles. That will be
the first place I check out, for sure.
I figure...
Forum: Technology May 21st 10, 04:07 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Chris F.
Air Conditioner Transplant Question

I'm close to completing the restoration of my 1980 Honda Civic, and with
the hot weather just weeks if not days away, an A/C system would be a
welcome addition. Trouble is, A/C components for this...
Forum: Technology May 7th 10, 12:25 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Chris F.
Why Replacing Balljoints in Sets Might be a Good Idea

My folks have their car back now, the total damages came to about $700
including the tow job. They needed a new tire, balljoint, transaxle, brake
hose, and differential gear(s). Yes it could have...
Forum: Technology May 3rd 10, 12:43 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Chris F.
Why Replacing Balljoints in Sets Might be a Good Idea

Ever wonder what happens when a lower front balljoint comes apart on the
road?

http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk275/packrat79/?action=view&current=Carbroke1b.jpg

This is my parents '99...
Forum: Technology January 20th 10, 05:21 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 50
Posted By Chris F.
1980 Civic Burns Oil After Adding

> It's a nice little car. I like the red interior. Don't like the
> snow. Does it have independent rear suspension?

Yes it does actually. I think all Civic 3-doors did, but the wagon version...
Forum: Technology January 19th 10, 08:35 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 50
Posted By Chris F.
1980 Civic Burns Oil After Adding

> Have you posted any pictures of this project of yours?? I have to
> admire your dogged determination to keep this Honda on the road.

I suppose it's only fair that I show you guys some...
Forum: Technology January 16th 10, 01:34 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 50
Posted By Chris F.
1980 Civic Burns Oil After Adding

Just a quick update.... I tried pulling the sparkplugs (recently replaced
with new ones) and noted that one was perfectly clean and dry, two were
black but dry, and one was black and dripping wet...
Forum: Technology January 16th 10, 01:30 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 50
Posted By Chris F.
1980 Civic Burns Oil After Adding

> It'll never be valuable like a '57 Bel Air is. But it will definitely be
> cool in a quirky sort of way, like a Crosley. I'd say it's worth
> restoring.
> When was the last time you saw one on the...
Forum: Technology January 16th 10, 01:25 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 50
Posted By Chris F.
1980 Civic Burns Oil After Adding

> For me the 80s were a dark pit of automotive crappiness that I'd never
> even think about preserving (with the possible exception of a Buick GNX).
> But I still can't bring myself to think of...
Forum: Technology January 14th 10, 05:12 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 50
Posted By Chris F.
1980 Civic Burns Oil After Adding

hange the oil every
> 3-4,000 miles. Enjoy it. Then kiss it goodbye when it throws a rod...

If I get this project finished, I intend to keep it running for as long as
I'm around - if I have to...
Forum: Technology January 14th 10, 01:00 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 50
Posted By Chris F.
1980 Civic Burns Oil After Adding

> Visible smoke reasons? Stuck ring, broken ring, torn/worn valve guide oil
> seal, plugged crankcase breather system and tons of oil in the intake...
>
> Any oil in the air cleaner? Sludge in the...
Forum: Technology January 13th 10, 08:20 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 50
Posted By Chris F.
1980 Civic Burns Oil After Adding

This project seemed to be nearly wrapped up, with little more than a paint
job remaining to be done. But as I mentioned in a previous post regarding
the carburetor, the engine had stopped running...
Forum: Technology December 27th 09, 08:21 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Chris F.
Carburetor Repair - Advice Needed

I've run into some more problems with this 1980 Honda Civic project. When
I first got it going a couple of months ago, it seemed to run pretty good.
Then it started idling poorly, and now it won't...
Forum: Technology November 18th 09, 08:33 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Chris F.
CV Joint Boot Replacement

I got it figured out - I was trying to remove the smaller clip beside the
ball cage, not realizing I should have first removed the large clip from the
inner edge of the joint. Then you slide the CV...
Forum: Technology November 18th 09, 08:25 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Chris F.
Honda 1980 Civic Fuel Tank Connections

It would be quite a trick to replicate the rig with steel line, since it
had a smaller line inside the larger one. I wonder what would happen if just
omitted this condenser rig?

"Tegger"...
Forum: Technology November 15th 09, 05:12 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Chris F.
CV Joint Boot Replacement

> Highly unlikely. Cracking is primarily a result of a combination of
> rotation, shaft angles and cold. Boots split during the car's regular
> use, not while sitting idle.

Now that I think of it,...
Forum: Technology November 15th 09, 12:55 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Chris F.
CV Joint Boot Replacement

I need some help with another aspect of this 1980 Honda Civic project.
This time I need to replace the two outer CV joint boots; one is cracking
and the other has torn open. The grease inside is...
Forum: Technology November 10th 09, 08:13 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Chris F.
Honda 1980 Civic Fuel Tank Connections

Believe it or not, I managed to find a decent diagram on a Honda
distributors...
Forum: Technology November 10th 09, 04:54 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Chris F.
Honda 1980 Civic Fuel Tank Connections

> As for the double-line loop, I have no idea what that is.

I have no idea either. And unless I can figure it out, I'm at a dead end.
Guess I'll have to keep looking.
Forum: Technology November 1st 09, 12:08 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Chris F.
Testing/Inspecting Brake Master Cylinder

Do you have any experience with Centric brake products? I have to order a
brake spring/hardware kit from one of their distributors, and I could order
an MC from the same place while I'm at...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 101