Showing results 1 to 25 of 234
Search took 0.96 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Chuck
Forum: Mazda June 3rd 08, 11:14 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 5
Posted By Chuck
Symptoms of bad cat converter?

I'd agree that a CEL without knowing the code is quite vague!
The lack of the code means that I'm making wild guesses, based upon very
little information.

Poor gas mileage is a good indication that...
Forum: Mazda April 21st 08, 12:21 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 1
Posted By Chuck
Emissions Warranty

There are to many variables to say yes or no. Likely not. However, the
California warranty may be different than he federal one for emissions
control (if it makes any difference). The dealer and...
Forum: Mazda April 16th 08, 05:06 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 9
Posted By Chuck
LOUD NOISE

You can try (with the key off and the engine cold) taking a dry bar of your
favorite soap. (regular soap, not cosmetic soap.) and soaping the underside
of the belts where you can reach them. Turn the...
Forum: Mazda April 15th 08, 07:14 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 9
Posted By Chuck
LOUD NOISE

The last time I replaced the belts on my 99, I had a similar experience with
belt squealing. Turned out that the belts stretched, and after about three
cycles of adjustment, quit the squealing....
Forum: Mazda April 10th 08, 05:50 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 3
Posted By Chuck
The beginning of the end :-/

Back when I was all of ten years old, my father bought a new 55 Chevy 6cyl
automatic 210. It replaced a Studebaker with manual shift and overdrive. At
that time the speed limit was "reasonable and...
Forum: Mazda April 5th 08, 02:47 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 4
Posted By Chuck
Sometimes I just don't understand dealerships

On Dealerships-- I have to tell what happened several years ago at the local
Caddy dealership.
Mt wife's parents drove a then new caddy from a Chicago suburb down to
Georgia to visit us. It was about...
Forum: Mazda March 4th 08, 01:03 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 10
Posted By Chuck
Help with accelleration

If you are referring to Fram filters, you are likely correct. However, past
studies showed that Mazda USA had "OEM" filters sourced in the USA that were
NOT as high a quality as the made in Japan...
Forum: Mazda March 1st 08, 08:50 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 7
Posted By Chuck
Convertible Top Latches Fix?

Careful use of a hair dryer will do wonders! I SAID CAREFUL!

"It's going to take some time to stretch it out properly, maybe a week
or more if the weather is warm, maybe until next summer if...
Forum: Mazda February 26th 08, 09:22 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 2
Posted By Chuck
Stalling or Cutout of Engine When Shifting Low Gear

A wild guess would be a cam or crank sensor with a temperature problem.

"tford056" > wrote in message
> Has anyone owning a...
Forum: Mazda February 23rd 08, 05:05 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 1
Posted By Chuck
Touch up paint recommendations

If you don't need an exact match--
Go to your friendly auto parts store, and see what shades of "Silver" they
carry. The last time I got into this with silver, it was because Mazdas
silver rim &...
Forum: Mazda February 19th 08, 07:44 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 4
Posted By Chuck
P0421 code after O2 replacement

If you have a california style cat system-- the front cat does have a
history of high failure rates.

That aside, the 99 manual lists these possible causes for the P0421 code in
the following...
Forum: Mazda February 16th 08, 08:50 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 9
Posted By Chuck
Miata coupe in 2010?

I bought my 99 because it was
1. A "sports car" (and a good one for the money)
2. A convertable sports car.
If it had not been a convertable, I would have likely gotten something
else, perhaps an...
Forum: Mazda February 16th 08, 08:17 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 2
Posted By Chuck
98 Miata Fuel Pump Cost?

In the US there is no 98 model, just 99 models built in 98
An aftermarket pump is ~$100US in the USA
A "kit" is also needed ~$15US
Next, the pump comes with a pigtail that must be spliced to the...
Forum: Mazda February 14th 08, 12:28 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 24
Posted By Chuck
Daytime Running Lights

My 99 has some of the DRL and ABS wiring, even though it has neither.

"S K" > wrote in message
> They had that in 1994?...
Forum: Mazda February 14th 08, 12:27 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 19
Posted By Chuck
Weird Question...

I don't blame you! There are a lot of sharp edges on brackets and other
things just waiting to stab and gouge the unwary.
The heater may block underneath access anyway. Taking the dash out is...
Forum: Mazda February 14th 08, 12:20 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 19
Posted By Chuck
Weird Question...

"JB Weld" is an Epoxy! I don't usually recommend brand names.
Automotive "Goop" should also work well once it sets up. (not an epoxy, sort
of like RTV that eventually gets hard)
And, I usualy tend...
Forum: Mazda February 14th 08, 12:04 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 11
Posted By Chuck
1999 Miata - Check Engine - Help

I don't know how may miles are on your 99.
The 420 code can be caused by misfiring, which can kill the converter if not
corrected .
It also is sometimes caused by a bad O2 sensor (front or...
Forum: Mazda February 14th 08, 01:18 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 19
Posted By Chuck
Weird Question...

I really don't know what the tonneau screws screw into. Is this a hard or
soft cover?
It may be possible to remove the glove compartment bib and see if there is
anything that you might add to help...
Forum: Mazda February 13th 08, 12:38 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 30
Posted By Chuck
Stuff is fixed? was: Oops, was: New battery.

If it makes anyone feel better--(or worse)
I had to spring for a new AGM battery for my 99 this afternoon.
Symptoms
Slow turn over before start, unless the old AGM was on a trickle...
Forum: Mazda January 21st 08, 12:35 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 2
Posted By Chuck
Amp power wire through firewall 2004 Mazda 3

Bite the bullet and get some mechanics gloves. There are sharp edges all
over the Miata.

"cut my hand --"
"the_lower_class_brat" > wrote in...
Forum: Mazda January 21st 08, 12:33 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 10
Posted By Chuck
O2 sensor replacement

The Bosch "universal" O2 sensor comes with instructions and a splicer block.
Read the instructions carefully. Eventually they will make sense. Also,
leave about 3"-6" of extra length if you are...
Forum: Mazda January 16th 08, 10:39 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 24
Posted By Chuck
Automatic Miata

There is an aftermarket mod intended for those who have such problems.
Basically, it adds a way of operating the clutch from a pushbutton.
This sort of thing has been around for a long time, and was...
Forum: Mazda January 12th 08, 01:37 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 22
Posted By Chuck
A little long before firing up - family trademark or is my car a little sick?

Yes, underneath a cover, and in front of the rear wheel well.
A couple of plastic golf tees are handy to have, as is a pan to catch the
fuel.

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in...
Forum: Mazda January 12th 08, 01:34 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 6
Posted By Chuck
P0420 code from check engine light 2000 Mazda Protege?

And, for whatever it's worth, sensors are designed to work for 80k or more,
I.E. 80-100k miles.
A universal sensor (four lead, with splicer) is usually less than $100.

> wrote in...
Forum: Mazda January 10th 08, 12:12 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Replies: 22
Posted By Chuck
A little long before firing up - family trademark or is my car a little sick?

Out of just plain curiosity, have you ever replaced the fuel filter? They
seem to accumulate a very large amount of crud in a short period of time.
Enough crud may slow down the pressure buildup, and...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 234