Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
Search took 0.75 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Al Adams
Forum: VW air cooled October 2nd 08, 10:24 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 24
Posted By Al Adams
OT Started building a deck today

If memory serves me correctly, hickory is the preferred wood for tool
handles that are subject to high impact stress such as axes, splitting
mauls, and hammers. Anybody in your area that...
Forum: VW air cooled July 31st 08, 08:56 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 89
Posted By Al Adams
10% Ethanol Gas Causing Poor Performance?

>the 68 vw type 1 was designed to be timed on
91 octane regular gas<

The label on my '68 VW Type 1's gas filler flap specifies 91 RON. Typically,
the conversion from 91 RON to US octane is 87.

Al...
Forum: VW air cooled July 6th 08, 07:07 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 13
Posted By Al Adams
Bob Hoover

Get well soon, Bob!

Al Adams

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message
> pulling for ya Bob!
>
> for those that don't know, Bob is another asset...
Forum: VW air cooled May 20th 08, 11:24 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 4
Posted By Al Adams
5 bolt standard wheels

'65 was the last year of 5 bolt, solid rims. '66 and '67 used a 5 bolt,
vented rim. '68 was the first year of the 4 bolt, vented rim.

Al Adams

"Dave Angel" > wrote in message...
Forum: VW air cooled May 12th 08, 03:52 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 7
Posted By Al Adams
Many questions about buying < 1966 beetle - UK

Regarding your question about RHD ovals: they do exist. I remember a few
years back seeing the critical bits one would need to convert a LHD model to
RHD from a parted-out oval at a swap meet here...
Forum: VW air cooled May 12th 08, 01:40 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 7
Posted By Al Adams
Many questions about buying < 1966 beetle - UK

I'm not certain, but I think that the headlights might have changed after
'67 on the UK (and/or European) edition, unlike the North American version,
which changed after '66. I'm basing this...
Forum: VW air cooled November 13th 07, 09:46 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 6
Posted By Al Adams
Beetle to Ghia transplant?

My son has a 1970 Karmann Ghia restoration project car that features the
infamous Autostick tranny. We have a totally rotten Beetle of the same year
with a manual gearbox.

Does anyone have any...
Forum: VW air cooled October 12th 07, 11:03 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 25
Posted By Al Adams
Oil-bath air-cleaner question

I believe it is coconut fiber, otherwise known as coir.

Al Adams

"Berg" > wrote in message
> Berg wrote:
>> Shag wrote:
>>> Short version...
Forum: VW air cooled September 20th 07, 11:22 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 11
Posted By Al Adams
1 piece side window kit for Bugs, any issues I should know?

Given the amount of time and effort it takes to replace the window scrapers,
don't be tempted to order the less expensive Brazilian rubber: the German
stuff is much better. You could make the same...
Forum: VW air cooled September 17th 07, 11:36 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 5
Posted By Al Adams
Is this a "California thing?"

Looks like the manufacturer decided to eliminate the cutting-out step (and
let you do it yourself) to save money, yes?

The only VW-specific gas heaters that I've seen are ones on eBay and at swap...
Forum: VW air cooled September 11th 07, 01:54 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 4
Posted By Al Adams
A New Experiment?

Gosh, it looks a lot more like a 'New Beetle' than that repackaged Golf they
tried to pawn off on the public 10 years ago!

Al Adams

"John Willis" > wrote in message...
Forum: VW water cooled September 9th 07, 05:24 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 11
Posted By Al Adams
Glass

Lexan is availble at my local Lowe's, so hopefully it is at one near you,
too.

Al Adams

"Dave" > wrote in message
> "Jim Behning"...
Forum: VW water cooled September 4th 07, 12:13 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Replies: 3
Posted By Al Adams
85 to 81 diesel transplant?

I have a 1981 Rabbit PU from which someone removed the diesel engine and
replaced it with a gas engine. The wiring has been butchered, but the body
is in great shape for northern NE.

I'm...
Forum: VW air cooled August 2nd 07, 05:22 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 4
Posted By Al Adams
Type 3 Notchback Question

I've been told that VW didn't import the notchback here. That being said,
it's surprising that so many seem to have found their way to the US, based
on the number I've seen over the years. It sure...
Forum: VW air cooled June 11th 07, 11:58 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
Posted By Al Adams
What doors fit ?

If I'm not mistaken, any door from '65 and later T-1s should work. The
door's
window dimensions changed after the 1964 model year. .

Al Adams

"Terry" > wrote in message...
Forum: VW air cooled April 20th 07, 11:18 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
Posted By Al Adams
Super Clutch problems

Sounds to me like the throwout bearing isn't engaging properly. In any
event, assuming the clutch cable is okay, whatever is wrong with the clutch
will require dropping the engine. Since VW...
Forum: VW air cooled February 18th 07, 10:44 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 6
Posted By Al Adams
fitting a gas heater in a split bus

Going back to your original question: I've seen a '67 T-2 double cab with a
Southwind brand gas heater. It was
tucked up under the dash on the passenger side, so this type was nowhere
near the...
Forum: VW air cooled August 28th 06, 10:27 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 6
Posted By Al Adams
Replacing door hinge pins

I find it hard to believe myself but when I had the same problem with my
son's '62 a couple of years back, I ended up not only having to heat one of
the hinges to cherry red, but also had to use an...
Showing results 1 to 18 of 18