Showing results 1 to 25 of 30
Search took 1.17 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Mel P.
Forum: VW air cooled September 1st 07, 02:38 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 4
Posted By Mel P.
Increasing a 1300 to 1600

If I buy the 85.5 mm P&C's and the matching single port head does that take
care of it or do I need to do something with the crank.

"Jan" > wrote in message...
Forum: VW air cooled August 31st 07, 11:12 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 4
Posted By Mel P.
Increasing a 1300 to 1600

Can a 1300 case be opened up to accept the cylinders from a 1600 (85.5mm I
think)? If so, any other mod's I need to deal with?

tia,
--
Mel P.

parts for sale ...
Forum: VW air cooled June 3rd 07, 03:58 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 0
Posted By Mel P.
FS: Ghia & Bug Parts

check out list and photos on link shown below

parts for sale http://melsvws.4t.com/vwparts/index.htm

thanks,

Mel P.

77 Bug - stock FI http://melsvws.4t.com/77bug/index.htm
Forum: VW air cooled May 11th 07, 05:06 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 0
Posted By Mel P.
pushrod question

On one end there are small serrations (ridges). Does it matter with end
goes where?
--
Mel P.
Forum: VW air cooled May 9th 07, 12:33 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I'm rebuilding a 40 HP engine. I know to keep the pistons and cylinders for
each position together. But is there any problem in putting them in
different position. For instance, the P&C #4 be...
Forum: Dodge May 7th 07, 01:12 PM Posted to alt.autos.dodge
Replies: 3
Posted By Mel P.
96 Intrepid Stalls - Ground Strap problem?

If there was a fault that a scan tool could read, would you get the check
engine light? And when it does happen, it's while your driving, so how do I
hook up the scan tool at an intersection.

--...
Forum: Dodge May 5th 07, 05:05 PM Posted to alt.autos.dodge
Replies: 3
Posted By Mel P.
96 Intrepid Stalls - Ground Strap problem?

The Intrepid will stall during city driving, like stopping at a light. This
usually occurs when the engine is warmed up. No 'check engine' light to
give me some code. It just stalls, but will...
Forum: Jeep May 5th 07, 09:20 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 0
Posted By Mel P.
Shifter, Clutch or Tranny problem?

One day last week I couldn't shift into 1st gear while driving. I tried to
let up on the clutch a couple of times, which sometimes worked. I then
tried starting in another gear 2nd or 3rd with...
Forum: VW air cooled April 20th 07, 03:09 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 0
Posted By Mel P.
Carb clearances

Anyone know what the max clearance should be for the 'butterfly' levers on a
PICT 30 carb.? I think I'm leaking air from there. Engine stall at idle.

tia,

--
Mel P.

77 Bug - stock FI
Forum: VW air cooled April 15th 07, 12:18 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 0
Posted By Mel P.
FS: KG overriders and other parts...(revised)

One pair for sale fits bumper 56-71 with bow hole. Rechromed, real nice but
not show quality. Selling pair for $60 + shipping. If interested, I'll
email some photos so you can see what you're...
Forum: VW air cooled April 14th 07, 03:21 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 0
Posted By Mel P.
FS: KG Bumper Overriders

One pair for sale fits bumper 56-71 with bow hole. Rechromed, real nice but
not show quality. Selling pair for $60 + shipping. If interested, I'll
email some photos so you can see what you're...
Forum: VW air cooled April 13th 07, 01:36 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 3
Posted By Mel P.
Difference between 40 HP (1200cc) engine and later

Can anyone tell me the differences of a 40 HP vs. later engines? I plan on
rebuilding one and have some parts form later engine which I maybe be able
to use.

I know the P&C's are smaller (77mm?),...
Forum: VW air cooled March 29th 07, 01:36 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 0
Posted By Mel P.
FS: Ghia or Bug Parts

Type 1 (Bug or Ghia):

Bug Coat Hook 67-77 1 used-clean $2
Bumper Bow 58-71 1 rechromed $20
CV Top Hooks 69-1/2 -74 2 $7 pitted
CV Window Latch 69-1/2 -74 1 $30 pitted
Ext Rear View Bug Mirror 1 used...
Forum: VW air cooled February 20th 07, 11:20 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 5
Posted By Mel P.
the Sliding steel sunroof

yes, there are tubes in the back. I re-did the headliner last year. I have
a photo of the tubes. If interested , let me know and I can email it.

--
Mel P.

77 Bug - stock FI
70 KG...
Forum: VW air cooled February 14th 07, 06:15 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 3
Posted By Mel P.
Timing/Idle problems

My 77 Bug w/ stock FI, seems to run rough. I timed it with a timing light
and tach. But when I do that, it idles very rough and lacks power. If I
increase the RPM, the idle is more smooth, but it...
Forum: VW air cooled February 3rd 07, 01:26 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 9
Posted By Mel P.
FI mpg question

I have a 77 with FI. I don't see great gas mileage , but I could have it
adjusted wrong.
As far as the parts...
New aftermarket parts are pricey. Check CIP's or JCW's catalogs. What I've
done is...
Forum: VW air cooled December 24th 06, 02:45 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
Posted By Mel P.
Wheel Alignment or ???

My front pass. side wheel is wearing on the inside a lot faster than the
middle and outside edge. Is this an alignment fix, individual adjustment
for that wheel or is my framehead crooked? Mind...
Forum: VW air cooled December 2nd 06, 10:57 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 9
Posted By Mel P.
Cracked Head Symptoms

Besides using a compression test or disassembling the engine, what would and
engine sound like or do if a head was cracked?

tia,

--
Mel P.

77 Bug w/ stock FI
70 KG Cabrio
Forum: VW air cooled October 28th 06, 11:26 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 7
Posted By Mel P.
bent cylinder head fin

Get a replacement or leave it alone. It WILL CRACK if you try to bend it.

--
Mel P.

77 Bug w/ stock FI
70 KG Cabrio
Forum: VW air cooled October 28th 06, 11:24 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 7
Posted By Mel P.
bent cylinder head fin

Get a replacement or leave it alone. It WILL crack if you try to bend it.

--
Mel P.

77 Bug w/ stock FI
70 KG Cabrio
"anton" > wrote in message
Forum: VW air cooled October 25th 06, 11:57 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 0
Posted By Mel P.
Items for Sale

Items for Sale

Description Years Qty Condition Sell Cost P/N Comments

Ext Rear View Bug Mirror 1 used $10

Ghia Headlight Bucket 1 Recon $25 Acid etched, HB Primererd

Ghia Rear CV Window Hinges 1...
Forum: VW air cooled October 13th 06, 12:49 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 1
Posted By Mel P.
FS: BUG & GHIA parts

Type 1 (Bug or Ghia):

Ext. Rear View Mirror (Bug), 68-78, used $10

Sunvisors, used, off white, $10 for pair

Signal Arm Switch, doesn't auto cancel $10

VW Automatic Script $25
Forum: VW air cooled October 8th 06, 09:19 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 5
Posted By Mel P.
Common parts to replace + spares

THE LONG TRIP TOOL KIT

I did this for my clubs newsletter some time ago... I'm sure it's overkill,
but you need to decide what you want to take...

You do carry a few spare parts don't you? So I...
Forum: VW air cooled August 1st 06, 10:14 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 0
Posted By Mel P.
FS: 1971 VW Beetle convertible (central NJ)

1971 VW convertible yellow, 71,000 miles,
Collector # 48216, asking price $8,000

ask for Marilyn 732-566-5340
Forum: VW air cooled July 30th 06, 01:32 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 0
Posted By Mel P.
Gen Fan rubs

I think when I reassembled my engine, the gen 'brush' cover got pinched on
the gen stand causing it to skew the fan housing. When I removed the cover,
the fan started to rub (a whining noise). ...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 30