Search: Posts made by: Steve W.[_6_]
Forum: Technology October 10th 18, 05:27 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By Steve W.[_6_]
NY stretch limo fatal crash - officials seized airbag module- why?

wrote:
> Some guy on the evening news claimed it was the vehicle's "black box recorder"
> eh?
> Some of the airbag controllers I have seen are quite simple and independent.
> They...
Forum: Technology September 11th 18, 02:09 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By Steve W.[_6_]
1987 Chevy R10 p/u with sb 350 TBI

Scott wrote:
> Hello gents. I am in the process of doing some work and need help
> from anyone with knowledge on these old square bodies. My grandest
> mistake so far on this vehicle was scrimping on...
Forum: Technology August 2nd 18, 04:02 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 64
Posted By Steve W.[_6_]
Advice for stripped threads upstream oxygen sensor exhaust manifold

Arlen Holder wrote:
> On 1 Aug 2018 23:30:57 GMT, Steve W. wrote:
>
>> Same threads as a spark plug. The easy repair is a plug rethread kit. It
>> has an oversized insert with a self guiding fluted...
Forum: Technology August 2nd 18, 07:30 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Arlen Holder wrote:
> On 2 Aug 2018 05:39:22 GMT, Arlen Holder wrote:
>
>> b. Drill it out and helicoil it (nothing to lose really)
>
> Googling, I'm not yet sure a helicoil will work on a through...
Forum: Technology July 12th 18, 11:23 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 26
Posted By Steve W.[_6_]
how does the map get into the radio?

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
> [...]
Forum: Technology July 12th 18, 11:14 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/11/2018 12:32 PM, Frank wrote:
>
>> Don't know about current Toyota's but a friend said it would cost $200
>> to have dealer put new maps in his Rav 4. Garmin maps may...
Forum: Technology July 12th 18, 11:11 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

micky wrote:
> In a new car radio with GPS, how does the map get into the radio? Does
> it receive cellular data, wifi, or come already installed?
>
> What if you want to install the next year's...
Forum: Technology June 15th 18, 03:00 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Steve W.[_6_]
Mazda tribute, 6 circuit codes

wrote:
> I have a 2005 Mazda Tribute 3.0. About a month ago I had the engine
> light come on, I immediately checked the codes. p0443 ( Purge valve
> solenoid ) p0403 ( egr...
Forum: Technology May 29th 18, 06:57 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Steve W.[_6_]
Difficult starting

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
> 2008 Kia Rondo, V6
> Starts in an instant EXCEPT when at gas station for a fill up. Takes over 30 seconds of cranking, stalls 2-3 times and runs crappy for about one minute.
Forum: Technology May 7th 18, 04:42 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By Steve W.[_6_]
windscreen affecting airbags? eh?

wrote:
> On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 8:01:07 PM UTC+8, Steve W. wrote:
>> The glass is an integral part of the safety systems, on many vehicles
>> the glass is used as a barrier...
Forum: Technology May 6th 18, 01:01 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech

wrote:
> I saw an advert from an auto windowscreen company claiming that if you
> windscreen is not fitted properly, it might affect airbags deployment.
> How so?

The glass is an...
Forum: Technology April 15th 18, 02:10 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Steve W.[_6_]
Speedometer Reading After Crash

wrote:
> i mostly agree with the above but will point out " no longer have
> speedometers that work by attaching a cable to a vehicle wheel " //
> was only true for bicycles and...
Forum: Technology April 7th 18, 08:33 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Steve W.[_6_]
are fuses always on 12V side of a device?

wrote:
> I find a lot of vehicles used "switched earth" system, where devices join
> to a 12 V main wire, and are switched on the earth side. But then, would
> the fuse still be...
Forum: Technology March 30th 18, 07:00 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By Steve W.[_6_]
Clear Spark Plug?

AMuzi wrote:
> On 3/29/2018 8:14 PM, Mechanically Electric wrote:
>> https://youtu.be/HyuPm9wtAsc
>>
>> Ill be putting one of these together, let me know what ya think,
>> opinions welcome. Please...
Forum: Technology March 23rd 18, 03:07 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Steve W.[_6_]
new build, ford 302 , cam frozen

wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 11:36:52 AM UTC-5,
> wrote:
>> built 347 stroker Installed all moving parts, rotated engine.fine
>> AFTER THREE...
Forum: Technology March 20th 18, 09:26 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech

wrote:
> built 347 stroker
> Installed all moving parts, rotated engine.fine
> AFTER THREE REVS, CAM LOCKED DOWN
>
> this is second time--two cams and two sets of cam...
Forum: Technology March 9th 18, 07:35 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Steve W.[_6_]
Do we really need to use "dri gas" anymore?

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 10:42:30 PM UTC-10, Steve W. wrote:
>> Show me a car that has a sealed system that actually runs. They are
>> all vented through the charcoal canister....
Forum: Technology March 9th 18, 08:44 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech

The Real Bev wrote:
> On 03/08/2018 04:48 PM, Basia wrote:
>> There is still some use for these. Older gas stations
>> frequently have moisture in their tanks and some gas
>> is purposefully diluted...
Forum: Technology March 9th 18, 08:42 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 11:16:43 AM UTC-10,
> wrote:
>> Years ago it was common to put a can of "dri gas" into the tank
>> with each fill up to absorb any...
Forum: Technology February 5th 18, 04:53 AM Posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Steve W.[_6_]
"Power" mirror question

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
> I bought on eBay a mirror for my '02 300M that was described as a
> "power" mirror that "fits" the 300M and some other Chrysler Corp. models.
>
> Now I find that it...
Forum: Technology January 22nd 18, 01:32 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By Steve W.[_6_]
2006 GMC Envoy, (denali) rear air suspension problem

wrote:
> On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 1:36:08 PM UTC-5,
> wrote:
>> My wife has a 2006 GMC Envoy, {Denali}. It has the air suspension
>> in the...
Forum: Technology January 9th 18, 02:13 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 81
Posted By Steve W.[_6_]
Drum brakes - do you disconnect the parking brake cable?

Mad Roger wrote:
> I haven't done drum brakes ever but I'm faced with these drum brakes where
> I'd just like to ask a couple of questions from those of you who have done
> drum brakes before.

Forum: Technology January 6th 18, 06:10 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By Steve W.[_6_]
Firing order

Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> This always bugged me. Why is firing order always non-consecutive?

It's simple. it's not possible to balance the crankshaft in most engines
to do that and still have...
Forum: Technology December 16th 17, 02:58 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Steve W.[_6_]
My 1983 Dodge van.

wrote:
> 318 engine. When I turn the key in the ignition switch there is a
> click noise and about a two seconds delay untill the starter motor
> gets the engine started. Is...
Forum: Technology December 16th 17, 05:06 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 19
Posted By Steve W.[_6_]
Do you have the electronics skills to design a good home madesmoke machine?