Showing results 1 to 25 of 54
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: ultred ragnusen
Forum: Technology February 22nd 18, 05:21 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Replies: 205
Posted By ultred ragnusen
Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

Xeno > wrote:

> I'd be putting money on you being the cause of that little faux pas!

Maybe. I've done the brakes on this German care before, but where I hang
the calipers...
Forum: Technology February 22nd 18, 08:19 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

critcher > wrote:

>> That's the problem with the internet - the blind leading the blind!
> so you are still on about tyres and nuts, jesus who do you work for ?
Forum: Technology February 21st 18, 11:50 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

rbowman > wrote:

> Can you say 'lawyer'? I've spent some time in southern AZ close to the
> border. It's refreshing to deal with Mexican mechanics. They still use a
> bit of...
Forum: Technology February 20th 18, 10:25 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

rbowman > wrote:

> I use the HF sockets and wrenches in my bike toolkits. If the kit gets
> ripped off I can replace it for about $50 and they get the job done.
> Other HF...
Forum: Technology February 20th 18, 10:17 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

alan_m > wrote:

> Something you can buy at the local hardware store for less than £100 or
> $100 is unlikely to have been individually calibrated or finely
> adjusted. It is...
Forum: Technology February 20th 18, 09:06 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

James Wilkinson Sword > wrote:

> Learn basic computer skills.

Pot, kettle, black.
Forum: Technology February 20th 18, 09:05 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Replies: 205
Posted By ultred ragnusen
Can you teach me more about lug bolts & related tire tools?

James Wilkinson Sword > wrote:

> Get a life and find something fun to do.

Pot, kettle, black.
Forum: Technology February 20th 18, 09:02 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

ultred ragnusen > wrote:

> In summary, you DIY because you ENJOY doing the job right, not because you
> want to save money, where you'd be hard pressed to find any repair on a...
Forum: Technology February 20th 18, 08:41 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

alan_m > wrote:

>> Luckily it's easy to dismount, remount, and statically balance (and
>> dynamically test) a tire yourself,
>
> You are joking! I've seen on many occasions...
Forum: Technology February 20th 18, 07:57 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

ultred ragnusen > wrote:

> 1. Unmeasured five full-torque applications (e.g., 150 foot pounds)
> 2. Measured, five 20% torque applications (e.g., 30 foot pounds)
> 3. Measured,...
Forum: Technology February 20th 18, 07:42 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Harry Bloomfield > wrote:

>> And I can visualize how to mechanically clamp a bolt in a vise to hang the
>> torque wrench on - but then - how do you calibrate the two...
Forum: Technology February 20th 18, 09:39 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

wrote:

> Back in the '60s Harbor Freight and Chinese stuff was well in the
> future. Real tools cost real money. The cellar had a door through a
> poured concrete wall that was sturdy.

heh heh...
Forum: Technology February 20th 18, 09:33 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

wrote:

>> What are you objecting to?* The ability to pay £10 to get a puncture
>> fixed?* Do you live in the Aussie outback or something?
>>

> I really don't to experience the number of...
Forum: Technology February 20th 18, 06:23 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

wrote:

>> To him, it's only about his "ten quid".
>>

> Sometimes I question my motivation, like last month when I was changing
> the oil in a cold drizzle.

I enjoy changing the oil where I've...
Forum: Technology February 20th 18, 06:03 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

wrote:

> I'm driving on a plugged tire right now. Last Saturday I was 600 miles
> from home and the only shop nearby was a truck shop. He plugged it but
> did not have the proper equipment to...
Forum: Technology February 20th 18, 05:58 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

wrote:

>> Take a look at that biker's concept of a "pocket knife" at 53 seconds!
>> https://youtu.be/M5_nK8V-nU0?t=53
>
> Compared to what's in my pocket at the moment...
Forum: Technology February 20th 18, 02:58 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

wrote:

> You're nuts.

Pot, kettle, black.

wrote:

> Someplace in the United Kingdom. I've managed to stay away all of my
> life. I've gathered it's not the country of Wordsworth, Shelley, and
> Byron anymore...

What's odd about the troll...

wrote:

> Royal Music Association?

Rubber Manufacturers Association.
http://www.rma.org/wp-content/uploads/prp_wallchart1111.pdf

Short summary:...
Forum: Technology February 20th 18, 12:02 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

wrote:

> I average about one puncture every 10 years between my 2 vehicles.

I have heard many times that nowadays, people don't get flats as often, but
I can't see why unless radials, by their...
Forum: Technology February 19th 18, 11:50 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

wrote:

>> I'm an electrical engineer - but this has nothing to do with that.
>>
> Maybe it does in the sense that you want things down to the gnat's
> ass.

I can't please everyone with the...
Forum: Technology February 19th 18, 11:30 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

wrote:

> I was talking to someone recently who is in the car rescue / roadside
> assistance business and he was saying that one of the growing problems
> he sees is that cars come without spare...
Forum: Technology February 19th 18, 05:21 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

wrote:

> certainly, but there is no need for such precision in this application.

This video tested a ten foot extension with the torque wrench.
https://youtu.be/wNcCwdtfcOU?t=413
Forum: Technology February 19th 18, 01:23 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

wrote:

>> That's strange that Europeans use a half-metric half-what-you-call-Imperial
>> standard of units.
>
> Not necessarily the rest of Europe but the UK.

Do the Germans and French also use...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 54