Showing results 1 to 25 of 191
Search took 0.56 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: RS Wood[_2_]
Forum: Technology November 9th 17, 01:52 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 528
Posted By RS Wood[_2_]
What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never done?

rbowman wrote:

> U-joints are easy. In theory. Like many little automotive projects the
> job can turn to crap.

I have to agree, I haven't done a drive shaft u-joint since the 60s when I
had no...
Forum: Technology November 8th 17, 08:00 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

Xeno wrote:

> I was taught to look at a thread if it was taking an unreasonable amount
> of force to break the limiting friction. You obviously need to learn by
> your mistakes. That is a great...
Forum: Technology November 8th 17, 03:19 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

rbowman wrote:

> You wouldn't know logic if it bit you on the ass. All you can say is
> cheap, cheap, cheap like a frigging sparrow.

There is nothing wrong with cheap as long as you argue cheap...
Forum: Technology November 8th 17, 05:13 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

Xeno wrote:

> I drive a FWD car because of the packaging arrangements, not the cost.

That's a perfectly logical reason to own a FWD car.

I commend you that it's not bro science trying to justify...

Vic Smith wrote:

> I don't know why you keep saying cheap, but it doesn't make logical sense
> since most cars are FWD. If you mean all FWD cars are cheap, you're wrong.

There is only one reason...

rbowman wrote:

> The first FWD cat I had was an Audi 100 that was renamed to the A6 in
> 1995. Go buy an A6 and get back to me on cheap. I guess the FWD variant
> is cheaper than the Quattro...
Forum: Technology November 8th 17, 01:13 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

Vic Smith wrote:

> <snipped some nonsense about Hummers and dump trucks>

It wasn't nonsense.

Saying you drive a FWD for its "handling" is like saying you drive a dump
truck for its handling.

You...
Forum: Technology November 7th 17, 11:25 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

rbowman wrote:

> I don't know why you have a bug up your ass about FWD. I wasn't going to
> reply but your utter illogical bias is starting to **** me off. End of
> discussion.

You missed...

Tekkie+AK4- wrote:

> +-75 and gaining... I am just reading along here and getting a few chuckles
> as well...

Have you noticed that in the last 30 years, the *same* bro science prevails
on some...

Xeno wrote:

> Warp *creates* runout.

It sure does! :)

The Real Bev wrote:

> Especially if you have an old car/truck.

Thanks for commenting on my hypothetical summary of WHY most of us don't do
those five jobs that most of us don't do at home.

1....
Forum: Technology November 7th 17, 03:00 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

Vic Smith wrote:

> The only handling that concerns me is snow and rain handling.

That's logical thinking.
It's like buying a Hummer so that when you do have an accident, you're more
likely to be...

Xeno wrote:

>> I owned Chrysler & Dodge, as you know.
>
> I never owned either of those two companies. I guess I was too poor.
> What's it like to be a rich engineer company owner?

You can insult...

Frank wrote:

> I say warp, but I see NO practical difference.

That's my point.

I've been discussing warp on rotors for many decades so you're never going
to add anything to the equation until...

RS Wood wrote:

> What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never
> done?
>
> Mine are, in this order of "I wish I could do it" order
> 1. painting
> 2. alignment
> 3....
Forum: Technology November 7th 17, 05:24 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

Frank wrote:

>> People who believe in marketing bull**** never follow basic logic.
>
> Since you've decided how I'm thinking, what's the logic in responding?

The issue with logic is that it's...
Forum: Technology November 7th 17, 05:09 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

Xeno wrote:

> I'd have said your *logic* comes entirely from book learning and not
> from the real world of the trade I spent 50 years involved in.

Everyone here is talking about runout which is...
Forum: Technology November 7th 17, 04:19 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

Frank wrote:

> Coking matters to the extent that it plugs filters and oil passages. The
> coke is hard and can abrade bearing surfaces.

I have seen what amounts to black sand in the outside...

Xeno wrote:

> It is the balance of the torques.

Remember, we covered this in detail DECADES ago.

Everyone confuses *runout* with *warp*.

They're not the same thing.
Forum: Technology November 7th 17, 01:10 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

Frank wrote:

> Bull****. Here in Chicago, traffic flows much better in the snow than it
> did 30 years ago. In fact, I haven't seen a car stuck in the snow in at
> least a couple of...
Forum: Technology November 7th 17, 12:45 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair