Showing results 1 to 25 of 90
Search took 0.21 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: (PeteCresswell)
Forum: Technology January 3rd 16, 02:31 PM Posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 38
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
New California Driving Laws take effect January 1st, 2016

Per .:
>[Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris.

That's pretty good...

Where did it come from ?
--
Pete Cresswell
Forum: Technology January 2nd 16, 08:48 PM Posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 38
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
New California Driving Laws take effect January 1st, 2016

Per Eagle:
>Ah...I see said the blind....

.... carpenter as he picked up his hammer and saw.
--
Pete Cresswell
Forum: Technology January 2nd 16, 08:46 PM Posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 38
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
New California Driving Laws take effect January 1st, 2016

Per Scott Dorsey:
>What else are you going do to? Put them in jail? Believe me, living
>in an American jail probably beats living in Tegucigalpa these days.
>Until it's actually safe to live in...
Forum: Technology January 2nd 16, 04:38 PM Posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 38
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
New California Driving Laws take effect January 1st, 2016

Per Mark Bannon:
> *any vehicle* proceeding upon
> the highway at a speed less than the *normal speed of traffic*

I wonder how that plays out in those 55 mph zones where "normal speed
of traffic"...
Forum: Technology August 23rd 15, 02:27 PM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 384
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Per Mayayana:
>People used to *always* look
>before crossing. Now it's common to see people cross
>without breaking step,

Does anybody remember being taught "The curb step" as a child?
--
Pete...
Forum: Technology August 23rd 15, 02:13 PM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Per Stormin Mormon:
>Does braking with the left foot increase the
>risk of accidents?

From what little I have read, there is disagreement on the answer.

The traditional answer is that left-foot...
Forum: Technology August 23rd 15, 02:31 AM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 384
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Per Ashton Crusher:
>It's been less than a week and we're almost up to 500 messages. Should
>I start a "left foot braking thread"???

Start a "What is the proper way to come off an on-ramp and merge...
Forum: Technology August 23rd 15, 02:28 AM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 384
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Per Ashton Crusher:
>Interesting points. My driving experience is that things are no
>different on the road now then they ever were in the past as far as
>the general competency and driving behavior...
Forum: Technology August 23rd 15, 02:19 AM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 384
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Per Mayayana:
> While we're at it, I'm curious how many accidents are
>caused by ridiculous flashing light overkill on emergency
>vehicles.

The ones that bother me the most around here are the...
Forum: Technology August 21st 15, 12:02 AM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 384
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Per The Real Bev:
>I would guess that pilots have to be of above average intelligence in
>order to get a pilot's license.

Bad guess: I got a pilot's license.... and quit once it dawned on me
that...
Forum: Technology August 19th 15, 01:24 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 384
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Per Don Y:
>a young woman was run over while walking he
>child in a stroller... a young kid busy changing radio stations
>instead of watching the road)

If/when somebody challenges me on my bike...
Forum: Technology August 19th 15, 01:18 PM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 384
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Per Ashton Crusher:
>>I have heard a local cop remark that he found driving a police cruiser
>>with all it's radios and other distractions to be something of a
>>frightening experience.
>
>No doubt...
Forum: Technology August 19th 15, 01:45 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 384
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Per Don Y:
>I did some volunteer work with a guy like that. We were digging through
>a large box of donated items (to sort out what would be salvageable vs.
>trash). He kept "implying" that I...
Forum: Technology August 19th 15, 01:42 AM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 384
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Per Don Y:
>Bicycling, here, is a hazardous activity -- despite being a "bike friendly"
>community (we have large annual events). I've tried riding a bike *once*
>in the 20 years, here and decided...
Forum: Technology August 18th 15, 03:04 PM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 384
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Per The Real Bev:
>Nobody can multitask, it's just sequential flipping back and forth.
>Women may just need to do more flipping than guys do.

I think the distinction is between MultiTasking and...
Forum: Technology August 18th 15, 02:59 PM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 384
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Per Don Y:
>I've got clothes down to a science: buy lots of the *same* pants, shirts,
>socks, etc. Then, buying is just a check-off task (no "looking" or
>"deciding" required). And, can even be...
Forum: Technology August 17th 15, 09:35 PM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 384
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Per Ashton Crusher:
>From 1985 to 2010 there are roughly 1000 times more cell phones. If
>in your morning commute in 1985 you were endangered on your 20 mile
>commute by 5 people with car phones, by...
Forum: Technology August 17th 15, 09:23 PM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 384
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Per Muggles:
> I've seen discussions
>where the conclusion was that women are more able to multitask without
>skipping a beat and men were more single minded limiting their ability
>to...
Forum: Technology August 17th 15, 02:54 PM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 384
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Per Muggles:
>I think some people are geared to naturally process multiple events at
>the same time and do it w/o any issues at all. Then there are others
>who can't walk and snap their fingers at...
Forum: Technology August 17th 15, 02:49 PM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 384
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Per Muggles:
>Driving while using a cell phone doesn't necessarily mean a
>person is also distracted.

Understood that there may be people out there carrying on cell phone
conversations who I do not...
Forum: Technology August 17th 15, 02:36 PM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 384
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Per John Robertson:
>Probably the same idiots who regularly have accidents are the same
>idiots who drive while distracted. Distracted driving can be caused by
>conversation, something you hear on...
Forum: Technology August 17th 15, 02:33 PM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 384
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Per Ashton Crusher:
> And if cell phone use and texting is so
>horrible, why do we allow the police to drive around all day talking
>on their radios and typing on their mobile data terminals? Funny...
Forum: Technology August 17th 15, 02:05 AM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 384
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Per ceg:
>Overall accident statistics for the USA are very reliable, since they are
>reported by police, insurance companies, and by individuals.

Am I the only one that sees a non-sequitur in that...
Forum: Technology August 17th 15, 01:54 AM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Replies: 384
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Per ceg:
>Where are all the accidents?

How about under reporting?

How could cell phone-generated accidents get into the system as such?

Guy I used to windsurf with bought the farm a couple of...
Forum: Technology September 12th 14, 08:23 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 42
Posted By (PeteCresswell)
What we need is a better solution to the CARB/EPA gasoline can bung hole threaded neck problem

Per (PeteCresswell):
>aMuzi had my hopes up with
>http://ezpourspout.com/ez-pour-products/parts/solid-base-cap-black/, but
>the description seems to say it won't fit most cans:
>"Black cap is fine...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 90