Showing results 1 to 25 of 215
Search took 0.77 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Earle Horton[_1_]
Forum: Jeep October 12th 06, 04:36 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 9
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
Dumb question of Jeep Lift..

Aside from potential drive line problems and the steering getting all whacky
on you, no, I don't see any problems with a 2" suspension lift. None that
money can't fix,...
Forum: Honda October 1st 06, 04:23 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Replies: 7
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
check enigne light

This is usually a sensor going bad. If you don't fix it nothing may happen
for a while, but eventually the car will stop running. Good preventative
maintenance is to take the car to Autozone or a...
Forum: Honda October 1st 06, 12:03 AM Posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Replies: 24
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
Advice wanted - Should it stay or should it go?

If you have a good job, just get a new car. The car shouldn't be making
exhaust noises, just after the cat and muffler were replaced. If this is
indeed exhaust, it is a sign of shoddy workmanship. ...
Forum: Jeep September 30th 06, 04:53 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 24
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
seeking advice RE Wrangler transmission overhaul

Of course the best option is a polished concrete floor and a transmission
jack. That is what they use in the magazines, the guys with the $50,000
worth of shop equipment to work on two...
Forum: Jeep September 30th 06, 03:34 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 15
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
Drag link boot cover - '01 TJ

Finding the boot is going to be the tough part. These are normally sold as
part of the steering component in question. There are aftermarket
replacements made, out of red urethane. Try searching...
Forum: Honda September 29th 06, 11:02 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Replies: 2
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
loose wheel 88 civic...

It's not going to get any better. Call some local shops and ask how much to
replace your front wheel bearing. Many people recommend doing both wheels
at the same time, because the other one can't...
Forum: Jeep September 29th 06, 09:58 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 4
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
replace steering stop bolt...93 XJ????

That would be a really odd size for a bolt, even with our primitive
"English" system of measurement.

Earle

"Dave Milne" > wrote in...
Forum: Jeep September 29th 06, 08:58 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,alt.jeep-l
Replies: 24
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
seeking advice RE Wrangler transmission overhaul

The OP was asking about a clutch alignment tool. As far as aligning the
transmission goes, I just "eye" it, and then slide it in there with one
hand, while the other is ready with a bolt. ...
Forum: Honda September 29th 06, 08:17 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Replies: 2
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
cooling fan trouble

It is not a good idea to go replacing electrical components with the battery
plugged in, unless you are an expert and know for sure, that the component
in question does not have any power to it. "I...
Forum: Jeep September 29th 06, 05:39 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 20
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
2WD Wrangler...?????

That's why you put sand bags or old cast iron radiators in the back.

Earle

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> Nope, I have seen it also. ...
Forum: Jeep September 16th 06, 04:48 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 5
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
87 XJ cheap

Bill,

There's no telling what can happen to a vehicle with your plates still on
it, and name still recorded with the DMV. Friends had a Subaru, that they
had sold, wind up in a ditch with several...
Forum: Jeep September 16th 06, 04:36 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 5
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
1977 CJ 5 Blown Rear end

Mike,

In general I agree, but when changing a carrier all you need to get right
are the bearing preload and the gear lash. That is a heck of a lot simpler
than setting the pinion depth and preload....
Forum: 4x4 September 16th 06, 03:48 AM Posted to rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,alt.jeep-l
Replies: 3
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
87 XJ cheap

They used to tell me that, but now I tell them they "have to" take my trade
in. I got $200 trade in on a completely worn out 1960 Rambler American
Station Wagon once. ;^)

Earle

"Will Honea"...
Forum: Jeep September 16th 06, 03:48 AM Posted to rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,alt.jeep-l
Replies: 5
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
87 XJ cheap

They used to tell me that, but now I tell them they "have to" take my trade
in. I got $200 trade in on a completely worn out 1960 Rambler American
Station Wagon once. ;^)

Earle

"Will Honea"...
Forum: Jeep September 9th 06, 03:28 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 16
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
Front Rotor Concern, 02 WJ

You can't predict wear according to mileage, unless you know driving style
and where driven. It could be that the calipers are mounted on a slight
slant, to prevent squealing and grabbing, and that...
Forum: Jeep September 8th 06, 04:46 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 15
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
94 Cherokee XJ Coolant leak

Water from a garden hose should work fine for antifreeze.

Earle

"billy ray" > wrote in message
> If he is getting puddles that...
Forum: Jeep September 8th 06, 04:20 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 12
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
4 Cylinder Engines in CJ7

The Cherokee got these engines first, then the Wranglers got them. Afaik,
none of them made it into CJs. I have the 4 cylinder engine in my Wrangler,
and no speeding tickets so far. ...
Forum: Honda September 7th 06, 06:18 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Replies: 6
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
Buying a 2006 Civic

At a local used car lot you can buy all the three quarter ton club cab
pickups you will ever need, and at good prices too. For a Civic, maybe if
you wait for gas prices to go down or stablize a bit...
Forum: Honda September 7th 06, 06:15 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Replies: 16
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
Plastic vs. aluminum radiator

"jim beam" > wrote in message
> Michael Pardee wrote:
> > "Jim Yanik" > wrote in message
Forum: Jeep September 7th 06, 04:42 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 12
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
4 Cylinder Engines in CJ7

Afaik, the four cylinder is a GM offering, with the same bell housing
pattern as a small block Chevy or the 4.3 liter V6. The 5.7 liter fuel
injected small block is an ever better compromise....
Forum: Honda September 7th 06, 03:17 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

"Jim Yanik" > wrote in message
> "Earle Horton" > wrote in
Forum: Honda September 6th 06, 05:01 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda

"Jim Yanik" > wrote in message
> "Earle Horton" > wrote in
Forum: Honda September 6th 06, 03:26 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Replies: 16
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
Plastic vs. aluminum radiator

The radiator in my Jeep is rigidly mounted to the front grille, but the
hoses are about two feet long each.

Earle

"Art" > wrote in...
Forum: Jeep September 6th 06, 03:21 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 21
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
87 YJ 4.2 -> 4.0 swap questions

I bought it used. I put Valvoline in it now.

Earle

"L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> Bummer! That's the name of the brand you...
Forum: Jeep September 6th 06, 03:00 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 21
Posted By Earle Horton[_1_]
87 YJ 4.2 -> 4.0 swap questions

Afaik, the original engine in the Suburban did 260,000 miles. It was
burning oil at a rate of a quart every 300 miles, and I had one inch
aftermarket breathers in both valve covers, just to keep the...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 215