Showing results 1 to 25 of 38
Search took 1.43 seconds.
Forum: Technology January 15th 16, 11:33 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By [email protected]
different long term fuel trim idling in park vs in drive?

Update 2 years later - same story, fast idle helps a lot with HC emissions.
378K miles now (actually about 160K on engine). New distributor cap and rotor installed before inspection since center...
Forum: Technology June 3rd 15, 04:21 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
eaton 12 bolt posi; preload spring plates touching side gears?

Well, I guess that makes sense, Ashton Crusher. Just seemed strange to me that the gear teeth would be touching something other than the mating gear teeth on the spider gears.

Thanks.
Forum: Technology June 2nd 15, 05:51 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By [email protected]
Replacing AC condensor - what if I don't evacuate system before recharge?

I don't know what R12a is, but somewhere I remember reading that the R12 replacements are blends of different materials with different volatilities, and therefore, that tiny leaks change the...
Forum: Technology June 2nd 15, 02:41 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By [email protected]
OBD On 95 Blazer?

On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 2:32:45 PM UTC-4, rdoc wrote:
> What version of OBD is on a 95 Blazer?
>
> Can I buy a cheapo version? This is for a farm vehicle that is not worth
> much, cannot be...
Forum: Technology June 2nd 15, 02:33 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
eaton 12 bolt posi; preload spring plates touching side gears?

decided to go through the differential when changing rear gears. Clutches look good; rear was working well when it last ran (25 years ago!).

I put it back together and it seems like the 2 plates...
Forum: Technology March 17th 14, 12:22 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
How would one quantitate how rough an idle is?

On Sunday, March 16, 2014 3:12:09 PM UTC-4, Geoff Welsh wrote:

> I would suggest the Jenga
> Method. See how many blocks you can stack-up on the hood.

I love it! I could lean my head against...
Forum: Technology March 16th 14, 01:48 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
How would one quantitate how rough an idle is?

Thanks for the youtube link. I'll definitly check that out.

Your response on not much to keep track of now makes me think that my question on the roughness measurement seems to be more a question...
Forum: Technology March 13th 14, 01:29 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
How would one quantitate how rough an idle is?

I was looking for how to tell exactly how rough it is. If you change something and you think MAYBE it helped a little bit, you can't be sure if you did anything without some kind of numbers. How do...
Forum: Technology March 12th 14, 01:35 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
AOD rebuild, pulling engine, other fox mustang issues...

diagnostics. There's a 1993 TSB 93-23-18, Transmission - AOD - No 3-4 upshift or slipping 4th gear - diagnostic information. I had found it on mustangforums.com but I can't find it there now. I...
Forum: Technology March 12th 14, 03:28 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By [email protected]
fuel injector cleaning question

I can't speak to in-port fuel injectors, but I've run a throttle body injection unit (2 injectors spraying into a carburetor-like body) for 358K miles without ever once cleaning it until last week. ...
Forum: Technology March 12th 14, 01:06 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
AOD rebuild, pulling engine, other fox mustang issues...

I'll have to dig out the literature I have and see if I can find out about not shifting to overdrive. Tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. Maybe you could take a look at the TV cable grommet on the...
Forum: Technology March 11th 14, 06:11 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
How would one quantitate how rough an idle is?

I imagine you'd use a scope and some kind of measure about how much the idle rpm varies during the course of a few seconds, no?
Forum: Technology March 11th 14, 06:07 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By [email protected]
AOD rebuild, pulling engine, other fox mustang issues...

I second Steve W's advice about not doing it without the factory service manual. I did one last year (with my teenage dughter) in a Lincoln and it turned out fine, but you have to be meticulous in...
Forum: Technology March 11th 14, 12:17 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By [email protected]
Finally passed HC emissions! different long term fuel trimidling in park vs in drive?

Finally passed HC emissions at idle! (Can't be sure, but I think the idle speed did it; see below.) Here's the whole gory 4 inspections history, in case it can help somebody else. 94 Suburban 5.7...
Forum: Technology March 5th 14, 01:24 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By [email protected]
different long term fuel trim idling in park vs in drive?

Thanks for the continued comments. I have done pressure sensor readings in the exhaust cranking and at idle but haven't lesarned enough yet to make any positive conclusions. I may do an old school...
Forum: Technology March 5th 14, 04:12 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By [email protected]
different long term fuel trim idling in park vs in drive?

94 Chevy Suburban 5.7 liter. At idle: HC 344 ppm vs 220 spec, CO 0.90% vs 1.20, CO2 13.4%, O2 2.1%. High idle: HC 26 ppm, CO 0.02%, CO2 15.2%, O2 0.5%. I did pull the EGR off it and it seems fine;...
Forum: Technology March 4th 14, 09:05 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By [email protected]
different long term fuel trim idling in park vs in drive?

Very interesting possibility, Steve W about the valve stem seals. I wonder if the FirstLook could tell me. In the past I have changed oil to 20W-50 right before the emissions test just in case oil...
Forum: Technology March 4th 14, 06:03 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By [email protected]
different long term fuel trim idling in park vs in drive?

Thank you. I haven't pulled the EGR off yet, but I will. I also have one of those FirstLook sensors that'll supposedly tell you all kinds of things from the timing and magnitude of pressure/vacuum...
Forum: Technology March 4th 14, 02:04 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By [email protected]
different long term fuel trim idling in park vs in drive?

The vac line to the MAP sensor is intact and not plugged. I have not tried to look at the spray pattern of the TBI injectors yet (timing light?), but I hear that the turbulence of the air across the...
Forum: Technology March 4th 14, 04:43 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By [email protected]
different long term fuel trim idling in park vs in drive?

There's no vacuum line on the pressure regulator; the regulator is internal to the throttle body injection unit and has a return line to the tank. I had the TBI apart, cleaned it, and put it back...
Forum: Technology March 3rd 14, 08:15 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By [email protected]
different long term fuel trim idling in park vs in drive?

No air injection. No MAF, just a MAP. The MAP seems to respond as I would expectewhen the throttle and rpm are maneuvered.
Forum: Technology March 3rd 14, 12:44 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By [email protected]
different long term fuel trim idling in park vs in drive?

HC is 340 ppm vs a spec limit of 220, with a new cat and new O2 sensor. This is at idle. At high rpm (2000) it passes the same limit. In this model year/PCM, 128 counts is what later came to be...
Forum: Technology March 3rd 14, 12:28 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By [email protected]
different long term fuel trim idling in park vs in drive?

HC is 340 ppm vs a spec limit of 220, with a new cat and new O2 sensor. This is at idle. High rpm (2000) it passes. In this year/PCM, 128 counts is what later came to be called 0%. The scan tool...
Forum: Technology March 2nd 14, 06:00 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By [email protected]
different long term fuel trim idling in park vs in drive?

I'm trying to troubleshoot an HC emissions failure in a 94 Chevy Suburban 5..7 liter with TBI and one heated O2 sensor. Over several minutes idling in park the long term fuel trim will creep down to...
Forum: Technology August 30th 07, 02:51 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
Instrument panel lights not working

On old cars this is caused by losing the dashboard ground connection
(nut/bolt vibrates loose). Poke a well-grounded wire behind the dash
onto the metal to see if they come on. But an '03? Nah,...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 38