Showing results 1 to 25 of 220
Search took 0.28 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: [email protected][_1_]
Forum: VW air cooled December 25th 17, 04:19 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 0
Midnight Repairs (2017)

He came down the back drive just before midnight on Christmas Eve. I was
out in the shop, about to call it a night when I heard the unmistakable
sound of a Volkswagen running on three cylinders. Bad...
Forum: VW air cooled December 25th 14, 07:45 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 0
Midnight Repairs / 2014

A great story as originally told by Mr. Bob Hoover

He came down the back drive just before midnight on Christmas Eve. I was
out in the shop, about to call it a night when I heard the...
Forum: VW air cooled May 26th 11, 05:05 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 1
A weekend engine rebuild success

On May 23, 10:23*am, David Gravereaux > wrote:
> new heads and cylinder set freshened the motor real nice. *It was worth
> the whole weekend and $591 in new parts to make it run on...
Forum: VW air cooled December 10th 10, 10:23 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 15
Sometimes you can just tell its a good one.

> Sometimes you can just tell a VW would be a good one by the ad. Even when
> the picture isnt so hot.
>
> http://erie.craigslist.org/clt/2063157977.html
>
> My fund is at *$1500 and climbing * . *I...
Forum: VW air cooled November 21st 10, 06:42 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 44
Sermons

On Nov 21, 7:13*am, "DogDiesel" > wrote:
> Anyone want to burn me the sermons for $15 . If so send me a message to here
> Thanks ,
>
> Diesel.

The $15 should go to Bob Hoover's...
Forum: VW air cooled October 15th 10, 04:36 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 7
So, What parts cant you get?

> Vie been warned to stay away from * Super beetles with fuel injection and Mc
> pherson struts.

Having owned both a torsion bar and strut beetle, I like the larger
trunk and, in my opinion,...
Forum: VW air cooled September 16th 10, 05:11 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
Buying Tires On eBay?

On Sep 15, 11:58*am, Jim Ed > wrote:
> *Have any of you ever bought tires on eBay?
>
> I can get a set of Pirelli tires for $348.00 free shipping?

I have not.

However, having read...
Forum: VW air cooled September 1st 10, 03:33 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 10
Valve train geometry question help please !

> *After I adjusted the no 3 exhaust valve, only about ½ the lock nut
> threads were holding the adjusting screw. Most of the other adjustment
> screw lock nuts look OK.

It could be the adjusting...
Forum: VW air cooled September 1st 10, 03:29 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 3
replacing ignition switch

> Can I do it w/o removing the steering wheel?
>
> Looks like there's a screw underneath that may allow me to remove the cover.

What year/type you working on?

It's been a couple years since I had...
Forum: VW air cooled August 2nd 10, 03:15 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 8
progressive weber, running like crap

> I have a stock 1600 motor with a progressive weber (32/36 DFEV) on it.
> It's having significant acceleration issue. Any time I accelerate the
> engine nearly stalls. I've tried rapid accelerations...
Forum: VW air cooled July 30th 10, 03:22 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 12
Which Octane Should I Use?

> I have a stock 1973 Beetle with 1600cc Type I engine.
>
> Which octane, U.S., should I use?

I run 87 in mine and it seems to go okay. Make sure you have your
ignition...
Forum: VW air cooled July 2nd 10, 06:00 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
Heater boxes and clear air tubes.

On Jul 2, 9:46*am, VFW > wrote:
> I take the clear air tubes off and plug the shroud outlets. *With
> Gerber's baby food jar lids.
> My local mechanic sez it just fries the valve...
Forum: VW air cooled June 18th 10, 07:04 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 7
General Question

On Jun 16, 3:34*am, "John" > wrote:
> This applies to all petrol engines as well as VW,s I think. A small ( or
> larger) *cloud of smoke on start up which clears immediately and...
Forum: VW air cooled May 20th 10, 05:18 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
A good read

http://www.vw-resource.com/cooling.html

It's a typical Bob Hoover sermon, i.e. good stuff....but for whatever
reason I had not found or read this one until tonight. Granted, I've
known about the...
Forum: VW air cooled May 7th 10, 05:38 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 5
Cleaning spark plugs. testing/

> Spark plug gaskets are about 50 cents (US) each.

And a new bosch super is what, about $1.99 these days? Seems easier to
just change the plugs to me :)

Back in the good 'ol days(mid 90's) I used...
Forum: VW air cooled March 30th 10, 02:08 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 5
The Sounds of Fweem

> stoplight the other day. *Could tell it was a 73 with the shiny new
> peashooter exhaust, large tailights and non shock absorbing bumpers.
> Don't know why but I rolled down the window and waited...
Forum: VW air cooled March 25th 10, 06:03 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 1
Mr. Bob Hoover...

Has anyone heard from Mr. Hoover lately? His last blog update was in
February, and I haven't seen anything from him here lately...

I think I can probably speak on behalf of the masses in saying that...
Forum: VW air cooled March 14th 10, 06:00 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 14
Stainless steel exhaust studs - are they a good idea?

> > Chris,s suggestion that anti-seize should be used is one of those
> > fundamental truths that should be etched in stone and hung on the garage
> > wall. *Innumerable barked knuckles and...
Forum: VW air cooled March 12th 10, 02:10 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 14
Stainless steel exhaust studs - are they a good idea?

> looking a bit rough so I intend to replace them. Some of the VW shops
> in the UK sell stainless steel exhaust studs - I just wanted to see if
> anyone had any thoughts on these before I go ahead...
Forum: VW air cooled February 27th 10, 01:38 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
Carbs, Made In China?

On Feb 26, 7:20*am, Jim Ed > wrote:
> *Which of these work and which leak at the throttle shaft?
> TIA

I bought one from CIP1 that was garbage. I fought with them for a
replacement,...
Forum: VW air cooled February 15th 10, 06:39 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 29
What is a Good Synthetic Oil to Use?

> vw's "needed"... they also said it didn't need the thermostat, all vw's have
> ****ty heat, *and that it needed a relay or the starter wouldn't work.... all
> those things have proven to be...
Forum: VW air cooled February 15th 10, 02:41 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 3
Dammit

On Feb 14, 10:07*am, Jim Ed > wrote:
> Did you use the correct number of spacer shims?
>
> Maybe this link will help:
>
> http://www.vw-resource.com/

Yes...what happened was...
Forum: VW air cooled February 14th 10, 05:39 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 3
Dammit

The damn bug broke down on me again today. It started with a whirring
noise at idle, which fortunately I was at a place where I could stop
the car. I opened the hood..and I have smoke from the...
Forum: VW air cooled February 13th 10, 08:31 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Feb 12, 7:39*pm, Jim Ed > wrote:
> I think I will use 20 W50 dino oil instead of the usual 30HD this
> Summer.

I don't know if that really helps or not. The dual-relief system,...
Forum: VW air cooled January 24th 10, 06:49 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 13
FAILED Emissions!