Showing results 1 to 25 of 90
Search took 0.10 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Happy Traveler
Forum: Ford Explorer September 24th 08, 06:48 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 7
Posted By Happy Traveler
Normal costs for maintenence?

"Foon" > wrote in message
>I just got an estimate for some normal maintenance at 60K and was wondering
>if
> anyone thought these were...
Forum: Ford Explorer May 13th 08, 11:58 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 2
Posted By Happy Traveler
Ford parts online?

My experience:

1) Rock Auto: a large online source, serving almost any brand. Large
selection, good prices, fast shipping, nice catalog.
www.rockauto.com

2) Bob Utter Genuine Ford Parts - a Texas...
Forum: Ford Explorer May 13th 08, 07:55 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.autos.ford
Replies: 2
Posted By Happy Traveler
Replacing power antenna mast on 1998 Explorer

If just the external mast is broken, and the part that engages the motor is
still intact, you won't need access to the motor.
Here is how to do it:

1) Unsnap the plastic cap (careful not to break...
Forum: Ford Explorer May 10th 08, 09:56 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 6
Posted By Happy Traveler
Engine Warmup?

I suggest you ask your 5-minute buddy to provide an explanation of why he is
doing that. Let's see what he comes up with.

Modern engines do not need to be 'warmed up' before driving. That's what...
Forum: Ford Explorer May 10th 08, 06:08 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 5
Posted By Happy Traveler
94 Exp 4wd V6 tranny ?

There is some (anecdotal) evidence of transmissions on their last leg
failing soon after a fluid change. Presumably debris from the friction
material and other junk is helping the old seals...
Forum: Ford Explorer May 4th 08, 11:53 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 7
Posted By Happy Traveler
pre-ignition - need explaination

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the compliments!

A couple comments:
1) I still have one of those mid-80 Fords (to be donated to a
not-so-well-off friend, as soon as I can replace the worn control arm...
Forum: Ford Explorer May 4th 08, 08:58 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 2
Posted By Happy Traveler
Code 401

You need a better mechanic. The EGR system is simple to diagnose for anyone
with a handheld vacuum pump, a scanner, basic understanding how things work
and a manual.
Now that you replaced the valve...
Forum: Ford Explorer May 3rd 08, 10:41 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 7
Posted By Happy Traveler
pre-ignition - need explaination

Guess that yet another cause of pre-ignition would be lean mixture.
Unmetered air (better known as vacuum leak) could be the culprit. if it's
gross, you will hear hissing somewhere, perhaps around...
Forum: Ford Explorer May 3rd 08, 08:58 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 7
Posted By Happy Traveler
pre-ignition - need explaination

1986 Explorer? Explorer was introduced around 1991. Perhaps a Bronco?

Our very knowledgeable Jim Warman hopefully will provide a thorough
explanation. Just in case he is too busy at the moment,...
Forum: Ford Explorer April 30th 08, 09:44 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 13
Posted By Happy Traveler
Brake puzzle

For what it's worth, here is my experience with a somewhat newer, 98 model.
A great vehicle with just minor problems in ten years of service. I was
never happy with its front brakes, but the pads...
Forum: Ford Explorer April 23rd 08, 09:23 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 2
Posted By Happy Traveler
MPG Reading in Message Center

My '98 has both an 'average' and 'instantaneous' MPG functions on the
message center. I believe that they deleted the 'instantaneous' from later
models. If so, your MPG readout shows the average of...
Forum: Ford Explorer April 19th 08, 09:18 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 3
Posted By Happy Traveler
01 Explorer - MAP sensor location

For what it's worth, MAP stands for Manifold Absolute Pressure (sensor) - a
part of the older 'speed-density' engine control system. My 23-year old LTD
(soon to be donated to a better cause) has...
Forum: Ford Explorer March 27th 08, 03:07 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 12
Posted By Happy Traveler
1999 Explorer Transmission

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Jim Warman wrote:
>> A C-note to hook up the scan tool? Those guys are ballsy.... Why, anyone
Forum: Ford Explorer March 7th 08, 08:50 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 12
Posted By Happy Traveler
1999 Explorer Transmission

See Jim, you can never stop being such a nice and helpful guy, even when you
get mad. Thanks for the great service to this group!

> BTW... if anyone has a 99 Explorer with a vacuum modulator from...
Forum: Ford Explorer March 7th 08, 12:04 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 12
Posted By Happy Traveler
1999 Explorer Transmission

The Ford dealer will love you. Nothing like charging a $100 diagnostic fee
for two minutes of hooking up the scanner. If you go there, at least have
them diagnose the problem and quote you the...
Forum: Ford Explorer March 6th 08, 09:27 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 12
Posted By Happy Traveler
1999 Explorer Transmission

There will trouble codes stored. Have them read and post here. May not be
enough to diagnose, but much better than blind guessing.

"Allan" > wrote in message...
Forum: Ford Explorer February 28th 08, 11:54 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 2
Posted By Happy Traveler
97 xlt whirring noise

252K on an original transmission? Sounds like you broke a record and should
be very proud.

No advice on AAMCO. This is a franchise, so every shop may be different. I
used them once, 15 years ago....
Forum: Ford Explorer January 31st 08, 09:46 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 3
Posted By Happy Traveler
02 Explorer 100k mile maintenance

Unless you mean doing so as a part of replacing the entire transmission
fluid, there is not much point in dropping the pan and replacing the filter.
Less than one third of the fluid is in the pan -...
Forum: Ford Explorer January 31st 08, 08:54 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 3
Posted By Happy Traveler
02 Explorer 100k mile maintenance

Simple advice: forget the dealer's money-making list and read your owner's
manual. Sometimes there is a separate maintenance schedule booklet, not sure
about your model. It will list everything you...
Forum: Ford Explorer January 28th 08, 05:02 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 11
Posted By Happy Traveler
70,000 on '03 Mountaineer

Don't know about Pittsburgh, but my '98 Expy with 120K miles is as good as
new. Just replaced the serpentine belt for the first time, because it
finally stretched a bit. All hoses are still nice...
Forum: Ford Explorer January 26th 08, 05:09 PM Posted to alt.usenet.news-server-comparison,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 10
Posted By Happy Traveler
New spam trick

Ah, that's a new trick from the ever innovative spammers. The spam bot
copies a subject and a complete sender's information, then appends the spam
to an existing thread. It's all over usenet now....
Forum: Ford Explorer January 23rd 08, 03:07 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 3
Posted By Happy Traveler
94 ford explorer charging issue

Two alternators and three batteries? Aren't you better off taking it to a
pro?

It does not sound like a drain problem at all, but like the alternator not
charging. A simple multimeter will tell...
Forum: Ford Explorer January 21st 08, 12:15 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 1
Posted By Happy Traveler
Gas w/t 10% Ethanol blend

Ethanol has about 30% lower caloric value than gasoline, so your mpg will
decrease 3%. As for the filter, that's probably an urban legend.

"dosio" > wrote in message...
Forum: Ford Explorer January 14th 08, 10:50 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 2
Posted By Happy Traveler
Electrical System

Your transmission is electronically controlled and operated by solenoids and
an electronic pressure regulator. It will not function without proper
electrical power.
As for the root cause, it's hard...
Forum: Ford Explorer January 11th 08, 09:33 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Replies: 7
Posted By Happy Traveler
New Pads and Rotors

Lifetime warranty on pads means that they wear the rotors instead.

"newman" > wrote in message

> I used the Wagners also. They have...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 90