Showing results 1 to 25 of 52
Search took 2.60 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Larry Scholnick[_2_]
Forum: Driving June 2nd 15, 07:34 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 1
Running over bicycles

I'm sure you've all seen the trend to mark a lane as shared between bicycles and motor vehicles. Some such lanes even post a sign "Bicycles may use entire lane".

I recently encountered such a...
Forum: Driving March 21st 13, 07:04 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 1
Not your average car

http://www.youtube.com/embed/-1w48qPF5hc
Forum: Driving September 19th 12, 12:31 AM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 0
Gene pool cleanup aisle 6: New Jersey teen sticks head out ofparty bus, dies

That reminds me of the old, bad joke about the immigrant who is looking out the window on the elevated portion of the subway route.

Someone else in the subway car realizes that they are approaching...
Forum: Driving July 24th 12, 09:31 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 3
Driving - L.A. to Pullman WA

A friend is driving from L.A. to Pullman WA next month. Both Google Maps and Bing Maps suggest the following route:

I-5 North
CA-14 North
US-395 North
US-6 Northeast from Bishop, CA
NV-360...
Forum: Driving February 17th 12, 11:03 PM Posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
Replies: 14
Massive traffic jam on 10 Freeway becomes Caltrans scandal

OP's note: In the archives of these groups one can find my comments on
the series of choke points surrounding Los Angeles where no nearby
alternate routes exist. This traffic jam occurred on Banning...
Forum: Driving February 17th 12, 10:21 PM Posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
Replies: 14
Massive traffic jam on 10 Freeway becomes Caltrans scandal

A routine road project west of Palm Springs went awry Sunday, backing
up traffic about 25 miles and forcing drivers to endure delays of five
hours or longer. Caltrans says that a series of errors...
Forum: Driving September 2nd 11, 07:08 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.immigration,alt.true-crime,talk.politics.guns,alt.politics
Replies: 215
Illegals demand and get changes to DUI checkpoint policy in California

On Sep 1, 3:21*pm, John > wrote:

> Last time I looked, California WAS a red state.

Every elected statewide office in CA (Governor, Lt. Governor, Attorney
General, etc.) is...
Forum: Driving August 4th 11, 07:37 AM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 1
Wrong Way Driver on the Taconic

A recent talk radio show (Mike Galagher, Salem radio network)
mentioned a lawsuit filed by the husband of the Wrong Way Driver who
was drunk and stoned (MJ) at the time. He's suing the state...
Forum: Driving May 27th 11, 03:25 AM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 5
Saw an interesting Thing Today

On May 26, 1:40*pm, richard > wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2011 23:20:38 -0400, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
> > We were coming home on I-4 today and saw a black pickup truck with gov't
Forum: Driving May 19th 11, 02:09 AM Posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving,misc.transport.road
Replies: 1
CA Hybrid Owners Look to Extend Carpool Privilege - NY Times Reprint

May 18, 2011
Hybrid Owners Look to Extend Carpool Privilege
By Felicity Barringer

SAN FRANCISCO — Virtue may be its own reward, but incentives don’t
hurt. In California in 2004, when the country’s...
Forum: Driving May 13th 11, 06:52 PM Posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Replies: 2
Today's road-relevant Jumble

On May 13, 10:49*am, Larry Scholnick >
wrote:
> This morning's Jumble turned out to be relevant to those of us in this
> newsgroup, so here it is:
>
> - - = = - F I L T...
Forum: Driving May 13th 11, 06:49 PM Posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Replies: 2
Today's road-relevant Jumble

This morning's Jumble turned out to be relevant to those of us in this
newsgroup, so here it is:

- - = = - F I L T N

(This means it's a 5-letter word; the 3rd & 4th letters are used to
solve the...
Forum: Driving April 22nd 11, 07:11 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
Replies: 56
Victory over Caltrans Grammar Error

On Apr 6, 10:51*am, Larry Scholnick > wrote:
> I had to send the following message to Caltrans:
>
> I saw a Variable Message Sign on southbound i-405 in Culver City. The
Forum: Driving April 19th 11, 09:48 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
Replies: 16
Rest Area Closed - Next Rest Area 200 Miles

Wow, that's at least 3 hours away; if we run into traffic congestion
in L.A. or Orange County, it will be much longer.

So, where was this gem posted? Near Exit 207 on southbound I-5 in
Lebec, CA in...
Forum: Driving April 13th 11, 12:54 AM Posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
Replies: 3
Old Oil Company signs

On Apr 12, 12:43*am, "Paul D. DeRocco" > wrote:
> > "Larry Scholnick" > wrote
>
> > In my travels I happened to pass a beautiful collection of old...
Forum: Driving April 12th 11, 02:07 AM Posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
Replies: 3
Old Oil Company signs

In my travels I happened to pass a beautiful collection of old oil
company signs (Gulf, Esso, Humble, etc.) along Old Hwy 58 near
Barstow, CA. Since I didn't have a camera with me, I decided to...
Forum: Driving April 7th 11, 10:39 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
Replies: 56
Caltrans Grammar Error

On Apr 7, 6:15*am, gpsman > wrote:
> On Apr 6, 1:51*pm, Larry Scholnick > wrote:
>
> > I had to send the following message to Caltrans:
>
> > I saw a...
Forum: Driving April 6th 11, 06:51 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
Replies: 56
Caltrans Grammar Error

I had to send the following message to Caltrans:

I saw a Variable Message Sign on southbound i-405 in Culver City. The
message had a grammatical error that detracted from its effectiveness.
The...
Forum: Driving April 2nd 11, 12:52 AM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 2
Multi-Lane Turns

On Apr 1, 12:21*pm, "Daniel W. Rouse Jr."
> wrote:
> "Paul Hovnanian P.E." > wrote in...
Forum: Driving March 29th 11, 02:15 AM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 2
Multi-Lane Turns

How often do you see the following on a road with 2 lanes in each
direction?

A car in one lane changes lanes directly into the path of a car in the
other lane, forcing that other car to swerve or...
Forum: Driving March 23rd 11, 12:18 AM Posted to rec.autos.driving,tx.guns,soc.culture.usa,talk.politics.misc,misc.rural
Replies: 13
CA lawmaker wants to mandate e-verify for ALL jobs in state.

On Mar 22, 9:30*am, walt tonne > wrote:
> On Mar 22, 12:08*pm, "Criminal Drivers Murder 35,000 Americans a Year"
>

> > wrote:
Forum: Driving March 16th 11, 06:01 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 62
Motorcycle cop with Radar gun

I was driving down the street on my way to work when, suddenly, an
LAPD motorcycle officer emerged from behind a wall and aimed a Radar
gun at traffic, including at me.

What, me worry? I looked...
Forum: Driving March 4th 11, 01:15 AM Posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,soc.culture.usa
Replies: 15
Gas $3.09 saturday, $3.11 sunday, $3.15 monday

On Feb 28, 7:54*pm, Car Crashes Mean Car Sales - GM loves highway
criminals > wrote:
> Same station. *And yet Bernanke tells us there is no inflation.

Here in Los Angeles there...
Forum: Driving February 7th 11, 09:17 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 7
I blocked a firetruck yesterday

I really was trying not to do so, but ...

I saw the lights and heard the siren of a firetruck approaching from
behind. I pulled over from the middle of a multi-lane boulevard to
stop at the curb...
Forum: Driving January 21st 11, 12:57 AM Posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.immigration,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc,soc.culture.usa
Replies: 18
Illegal who killed bicyclist gets measly 2 1/2 years prison.

On Jan 20, 9:53*am, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are Murderers"
> wrote:
> http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=2238593
>
> Illegal immigrant sentenced to jail after fatal accident
Showing results 1 to 25 of 52