Showing results 1 to 25 of 94
Search took 0.06 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Arlen Holder
Forum: Technology August 8th 18, 04:59 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 64
Posted By Arlen Holder
Advice for stripped threads upstream oxygen sensor exhaust manifold

On 7 Aug 2018 19:53:34 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> At least with tubed tires the bead will seat sooner or later.

Seating the bead is trivial.

There are 6 beads to deal with, only one of which is...
Forum: Technology August 8th 18, 04:37 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 7 Aug 2018 18:06:34 GMT, rbowman wrote:

>> It's like mounting tires at home (which is so easy, it's not funny).
>> Anything who hasn't done it doesn't know what they're talking about.
>
> I'll...
Forum: Technology August 7th 18, 10:43 PM Posted to alt.usage.english,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By Arlen Holder
Why can't people figure out warp versus runout versus disc thickness variation

On 7 Aug 2018 12:50:55 GMT, Jack wrote:

> I bought a 97 Contour in 2001, and it had brake pulsation. I called it
> warped rotor, not caring much what was the precise distortion that
> caused the...
Forum: Technology August 7th 18, 10:23 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 6 Aug 2018 20:54:54 GMT, rbowman wrote:

>> It's insanely easy to refuel a vehicle at home (if you have the space).
>
> I've been known to refuel the bikes but since I pass three gas stations
Forum: Technology August 7th 18, 05:08 AM Posted to alt.usage.english,rec.autos.tech

On 6 Aug 2018 20:10:51 GMT, Jack wrote:

> Are you assuming that the 'or' means they are equating 'warping' with
> 'thickness variations'? Maybe they just mean that either condition can
> cause...
Forum: Technology August 7th 18, 05:08 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 6 Aug 2018 20:16:21 GMT, Xeno wrote:

> For christ's sake, WGAF?

WGAF?

Why Give a ****?

There are good reasons to give a ****, since,
a) Clare suggested the paper, so I read it.

On 6 Aug 2018 20:23:09 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

> Like I said - THERMAL DISTORTION - AKA warpage.
> You have a different definition?
>
> Rotors are GENERALLY made of grey iron - so it IS...
Forum: Technology August 7th 18, 03:46 AM Posted to alt.usage.english,rec.autos.tech

On 6 Aug 2018 19:31:14 GMT, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

> To be sure of their meaning, you will need to be fluent in Korean
> and read the original paper in its native language, Korean.
Forum: Technology August 7th 18, 03:18 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 7 Aug 2018 01:50:38 GMT, Arlen Holder wrote:

> You should be warned that I'm intelligent so I can *read* a peer-reviewed
> scientific paper, unlike, it seems, most people, who can't comprehend...
Forum: Technology August 7th 18, 03:05 AM Posted to alt.usage.english,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By Arlen Holder
Why can't people figure out warp versus runout versus disc thickness variation

Why, for Christs' sake, can't people figure out the difference in the
English language between warp versus runout or disc thickness variation?

There has been a perennial argument since the 70's when...
Forum: Technology August 7th 18, 02:50 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 7 Aug 2018 01:33:18 GMT, Arlen Holder wrote:

> I'll read the rest, but the abstract talks about "runout" which is a
> completely different thing than warp

Hi Clare,

You should be warned that...
Forum: Technology August 7th 18, 02:33 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 95
Posted By Arlen Holder
Clutch bolts and locktite

Picked up one of these for the next time around!
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9321889pilot_bushing_tool.jpg

Lisle 55600 Clutch Pilot Bushing Remover
"This Blind Hole Bushing Remover Uses...
Forum: Technology August 6th 18, 04:29 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 6 Aug 2018 07:16:52 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> But, but, but.... It's for the children...
>
> https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/110/hr814
>
> Fortunately I don't have to deal with CARB, just...
Forum: Technology August 6th 18, 03:54 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 5 Aug 2018 20:51:15 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

> If it glows it can warp. I;ve seen a lot of rotors glowing red - and
> a few almost orange hot - - you could see the glow in daylight.

I don't...
Forum: Technology August 6th 18, 06:30 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 5 Aug 2018 11:28:32 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> 'Repair kits' are popular around here and include a free flowing spout
> and vent. Of course, they should only be used to repair older containers.

Forum: Technology August 5th 18, 04:41 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 5 Aug 2018 07:31:19 GMT, Xeno wrote:

> It always amazes me the dependence people place on those codes without
> really understanding the *system* that is generating the codes and, in
> most...
Forum: Technology August 5th 18, 08:06 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 5 Aug 2018 07:01:48 GMT, Arlen Holder wrote:

> I checked with CARB who said that emissions standards don't play a role
> unless any one container is over 50 gallons (that's why drums, they told
Forum: Technology August 5th 18, 08:01 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 4 Aug 2018 20:02:46 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

> Does your insurance company know?
Long ago I checked with the local fire marshall, who told me that they're
perfectly legal as long as they're in...
Forum: Technology August 4th 18, 05:08 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 4 Aug 2018 07:56:20 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

> If it was P0133 it means slow response - definitely a bad sensoe

I think that's what it was, but what only matters now is what comes back!

BTW, I...
Forum: Technology August 4th 18, 04:44 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 4 Aug 2018 07:52:48 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

> DO NOT put sealer on it. The "cell" needs to breathe - anything that
> would restrict or poison the air getting to the cell will kill the
Forum: Technology August 4th 18, 03:14 PM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 3 Aug 2018 23:27:26 GMT, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

> I wouldn't worry about it. Any leakage would be minor.
> However, if you are worried about it you can put some high temp
> sealer around...
Forum: Technology August 4th 18, 04:40 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 3 Aug 2018 18:52:56 GMT, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Right. The error message you got about the sensor was ALSO unrelated to
> the sensor. The error message says the output of the sensor is out of
Forum: Technology August 4th 18, 02:44 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Arlen Holder
What options exist for getting duplicate automobile remotes?

On 3 Aug 2018 18:31:19 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

> The "fob" is nopt programmed. It is added to the programming of the
> BCM of the car. You "train" the BCM - you don't "program" the fob.
>
> With...
Forum: Technology August 4th 18, 02:43 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 3 Aug 2018 18:34:40 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

> That is for the remote entry fob - NOT the immobilizer key.

I know what you mean because the sister of this kid has a Camry 2005 with
the...
Forum: Technology August 4th 18, 02:40 AM Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 3 Aug 2018 18:26:22 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

> You need the car unlocked and the key in the ignition to program the
> remotes - which doNOT unlock the steering column or allow you to drive
Showing results 1 to 25 of 94