Showing results 1 to 21 of 21
Search took 0.33 seconds.
Forum: VW air cooled May 13th 09, 06:37 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 10
Posted By [email protected]
78 SB alternator swap, fan housing issues

On May 12, 10:15*pm, "P.J.Berg" > wrote:
> On Wed, 13 May 2009 03:43:18 +0200, Speedy Jim > wrote:
> > wrote:
> >> I've got the...
Forum: VW air cooled May 13th 09, 02:04 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 10
Posted By [email protected]
78 SB alternator swap, fan housing issues

I've got the engine from my '78 SB on the floor of my garage at the
moment. I went to remove the fan housing since I need to do replace a
bad alternator. Having browsed the group posts I came to...
Forum: VW air cooled April 20th 07, 04:41 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
Posted By [email protected]
Super Clutch problems

I finally got all the loose ends tied down, and with new wheels on the
car and the engine finally idling properly, I reinstalled the driver's
seat and got in. The engine started fine, but when I...
Forum: VW air cooled April 15th 07, 08:17 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 0
Posted By [email protected]
Replace McPherson strut towers

I just got my engine running, the tube from the oil neck to the air
intake was loose, and now I'm trying to replace the struts. I tried to
remove the two bolts that secure the bottom of it, but they...
Forum: VW air cooled April 15th 07, 07:55 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 0
Posted By [email protected]
Replace McPherson strut towers

I just got my engine running, the tube from the oil neck to the air
intake was loose, and now I'm trying to replace the struts. I tried to
remove the two bolts that secure the bottom of it, but they...
Forum: VW air cooled April 12th 07, 04:10 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 5
Posted By [email protected]
'78 Super Beetle engine chugging

I checked the area around the plate I put over the EGR pipe. When the
engine began to die, I sprayed some carburetor cleaner in it and it
would rev back up. That seems to have been the vacuum leak....
Forum: VW air cooled April 12th 07, 02:48 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 5
Posted By [email protected]
'78 Super Beetle engine chugging

The air flow boot, that large black molded boot from the the MAF, is
new and has no holes in it. I would guess that the fuel was rich, due
to the chugging, but the exhaust is fairly dirty but not...
Forum: VW air cooled April 11th 07, 07:03 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 5
Posted By [email protected]
'78 Super Beetle engine chugging

I have recently replaced the fuel injectors, and though there is still
about .5mm of o-ring protruding, they seem to be in solidly. The
engine now fires, but after about 40 seconds it chugs painfully...
Forum: VW air cooled April 11th 07, 01:22 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 29
Posted By [email protected]
'78 Super Beetle, unidentified wires, engine stalling

I suppose I should update a little. I haven't posted because I went
ahead and ordered some fuel injectors, but they took their time in
getting here. I installed them sunday and the engine fired and...
Forum: VW air cooled March 11th 07, 09:03 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 29
Posted By [email protected]
'78 Super Beetle, unidentified wires, engine stalling

I looked through the Bentley manual and I couldn't find what the
proper ohm resistance level across the pins on the fuel injector
should be. I removed the fuel injectors from the driver's side. When...
Forum: VW air cooled March 9th 07, 09:09 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 29
Posted By [email protected]
'78 Super Beetle, unidentified wires, engine stalling

I didn't get the gauge, I decided, since I'd replaced everything else
in the fuel system, I'd go ahead and replace the fuel regulator.

I unplugged the cold start valve, and the engine, with the new...
Forum: VW air cooled March 9th 07, 01:01 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 29
Posted By [email protected]
'78 Super Beetle, unidentified wires, engine stalling

I'm going to test the injectors for internal gounding. In my question
about pressure I was merely asking if the wet spark plugs might be
indicative of too much fuel pressure. I replaced the coil and...
Forum: VW air cooled March 8th 07, 10:35 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 29
Posted By [email protected]
'78 Super Beetle, unidentified wires, engine stalling

Also, the spark plug from cylinder number 1 is always dry, while that
from cylinder number 2 is still wet. These are new plugs.
Forum: VW air cooled March 8th 07, 10:21 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 29
Posted By [email protected]
'78 Super Beetle, unidentified wires, engine stalling

What would it mean if the pressure was above 35 psi, and what would it
mean if the pressure was below 35 psi. Would either of these
conditions cause the wet spark plugs?
Forum: VW air cooled March 8th 07, 02:49 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 29
Posted By [email protected]
'78 Super Beetle, unidentified wires, engine stalling

I did try to remove the injectors, but they are held so tight by that
metal pipe (and I didn't want to spill gasoline everywhere) that I had
someone turn the key and run the engine while I just held...
Forum: VW air cooled March 6th 07, 11:36 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 29
Posted By [email protected]
'78 Super Beetle, unidentified wires, engine stalling

Oh, I figured that the metal pipe must be the return line that runs
the fuel across the engine and back to the driver's side set of
injectors. This said, how do I even use the injectors since I...
Forum: VW air cooled March 6th 07, 10:25 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 29
Posted By [email protected]
'78 Super Beetle, unidentified wires, engine stalling

I tested the compression on Cyl. 1 and was fine.

The old spark plugs don't show signs of wetness.

The rocker arms for the valves were loose when cyl. 1 was at TDC

It looks like all the hoses are...
Forum: VW air cooled March 5th 07, 11:56 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 29
Posted By [email protected]
'78 Super Beetle, unidentified wires, engine stalling

I used a test light in all the injector plugs and they're all
recieving current. (The light flickers)

Testing the ECU with key on showed 12V with positive on ballast
resistor end and negative...
Forum: VW air cooled March 5th 07, 10:41 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 29
Posted By [email protected]
'78 Super Beetle, unidentified wires, engine stalling

I replaced the connection with 3 radio shack spade connectors so it is
now reliable.

I probed the air intake flap and the fuel pump runs when I do.

When I hold the flap open and someone starts the...
Forum: VW air cooled March 4th 07, 05:51 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 29
Posted By [email protected]
'78 Super Beetle, unidentified wires, engine stalling

> I would do whatever it takes to make that connection reliable again.

Does this include cutting the connection plug off and wire nutting the
two ends together, or is there a reason that the plug is...
Forum: VW air cooled March 2nd 07, 08:18 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 29
Posted By [email protected]
'78 Super Beetle, unidentified wires, engine stalling

There are two wires next to the double relay in the rear luggage
compartment of my '78 Super beetle. Both of the wires are female spade
connections. They are both white and of similar length to the...
Showing results 1 to 21 of 21