Showing results 1 to 25 of 343
Search took 6.14 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Ad absurdum per aspera
Forum: Driving March 30th 09, 04:30 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 0
Interesting article about red-light and speed cameras

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123811365190053401.html?mod=article-outset-box
Forum: Technology March 29th 09, 04:19 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 17
2005 Escape Oil Pan Bolt Too Tightly Torqued

> We have removed many a bolt with no problems that an owner said could
> not be turned.

Yeah, and I'll bet that if your shop or one of similar standards put
'em in, they come out with correct...
Forum: Driving March 28th 09, 04:40 AM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 17
Cannonball: if revived, would you do it, and which route from NYCto Redondo Beach would you take?

I haven't read the book, but if memory serves, Yates wrote in Car and
Driver, a few years before the book came out, that a few high
ranking New York state gentlemen of badge and bar had a sit-down...
Forum: Driving March 25th 09, 03:25 AM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 8
Dangerous Driving

> This isn't even worth ranting about anymore.

We don't know how smart people can be, but we know that dumb goes all
the way to zero.

--Joe "Side curtain airbags are looking better every year" Chew
Forum: Driving March 20th 09, 03:04 AM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 7
Gear-number -- potential vs. kinetic energy

> Is it true that a higher-gear relies less on kinetic energy [but more
> on potential energy] than a lower-gear for the same amount of MPH?

1040EZ answer: No.

Long form answer:
Potential energy,...
Forum: Technology March 16th 09, 03:50 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 10
Ford Five Hundred... about to replace 2 family cars, buyingsuggestions

On Mar 15, 8:39*am, stevegp > wrote:
> Around So. California a Ford Five Hundred which has a V-6 3.0, that
> had 57000 miles on was on sale for $6000 private party...
Forum: Technology March 13th 09, 11:03 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 9
Foggy head lamps on Mercury Sable

> Yes, there are a number of plastic polishes out there that work. *Ask at
> your local auto parts store. *

Do they seem to be hazed with scratches or just have transluscent
crud on 'em? I had some...
Forum: Technology March 13th 09, 10:22 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 10
about to replace 2 family cars, buying suggestions

> Finally, with the economy being what it is, would it simply be best to just network
> with neighbors, friends, family and workplace and find out if someone has a car for
> sale? There is the danger...
Forum: Driving March 12th 09, 01:28 AM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 7
Shell Gasoline

Diligent reading all the way through a Shell PR statement eventually
revealed that they claim to have improved the thermal stability of a
detergent that they put in their gasolines, by adding...
Forum: Driving March 5th 09, 08:11 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 3
The Eagle, er, Flies Today

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/03/04/state/n163106S41.DTL

Reminds me of the time I hit either an owl or an escaped special
effect from Jurassic Park. I was going along at 65...
Forum: Technology February 26th 09, 06:10 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 7
spark plugs stuck on low-mileage car?

> True, but when you consider that there are literally hundreds of parts
> on a car, any of which can put you on the side of the road if they fail,
> you cannot replace them all.

Yeah, but belts and...
Forum: Technology February 24th 09, 04:45 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 7
Red LEDs behind red lens?

> You _have_
> to use a red LED if you have a red lens.... no other color will work.

I just did an experiment with a white LED flashlight,* and indeed, a
red light emerges from a red taillight...
Forum: Technology February 23rd 09, 03:15 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 7
spark plugs stuck on low-mileage car?

> If the belt breaks, you will be stranded. * Are you terrified of being
> stranded? *If you never go far from home and you're always on
> well-travelled roads, you might as well just wait a while....
Forum: Antique cars February 21st 09, 04:28 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.rod-n-custom,rec.autos.antique
Replies: 1
Kids, don't try this without mad skills

The "Marquis de Soto" is a piece of work (and some of his taillight/
headlamp/other chrome found object sculptures are pretty cool...
Forum: Technology February 21st 09, 04:28 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.rod-n-custom,rec.autos.antique
Replies: 1
Kids, don't try this without mad skills

The "Marquis de Soto" is a piece of work (and some of his taillight/
headlamp/other chrome found object sculptures are pretty cool...
Forum: Technology February 17th 09, 10:12 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 6
Reflective triangle or reflective cone?

> I've heard stories that the triangles tend to get blown over by passing
> trucks.

I'd have my doubts about a lightweight cone, too. If you can, check
it out in person. See if its base seems big,...
Forum: General February 16th 09, 03:24 PM Posted to alt.autos.cadillac,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
Replies: 95
0W-40 in 1970 Cadillac Eldorado

An enviable car, as long as gas doesn't go back up to $4!

I'd say that:
* Switching to a synthetic or a high-detergent (fleet; diesel) oil on
a non overhauled "survivor" engine that old is asking...
Forum: Technology February 15th 09, 04:39 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 5
Is oil in cans completely a thing of the past?

On Feb 12, 7:14*pm, brassplyer > wrote:
> I have one of these metal oil funnels with the piercing point and
> squeeze handle to push the can onto the pierce point, is this...
Forum: Driving February 14th 09, 03:09 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 5
The 2012 Pelosi GTxi SS/RT Sport Edition

> Actually I think Pelosi likes 3500 pound hybrids...all the politicians do.
> The problem is how long do the batteries stay charged during city driving.
> In other words what is the practical city...
Forum: Driving February 12th 09, 03:12 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 16
Calling the cops

> Anyway, if you’re going to be driving, drinking, in possession of
> cocaine and under the influence, why the hell would you claim you’re
> going to call the police on someone? *

Bluff. It fools a...
Forum: Technology February 8th 09, 06:17 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 4
Minor surface windshield scratch removal

"polishing windshield" is a good string to punch into your favorite
search engine. You'll get a lot of pages with illustrated
instructions, e.g.,...
Forum: Technology February 4th 09, 02:34 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 1
Futurama

> I know that Futurama was first created by GM for the 1939 World's Fair
> in New York. *There was, after the war, several futuristic "buses" that
> GM drove around the country to show people visions...
Forum: Technology February 3rd 09, 03:48 PM Posted to alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
Replies: 39
2009 Car and Driver 10 Best Cars - no Lexus, no surprise?

> Actually, didn't the Maxima get *downsized* sometime within the last 6-7
> years, basically swapping places with the Altima as it grew to
> balloon-like proportions (and appearance)?

The...
Forum: Technology February 3rd 09, 01:11 AM Posted to alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
Replies: 39
2009 Car and Driver 10 Best Cars - no Lexus, no surprise?

> > Um, a Maxima *is* a midsize car.
> Not unless they make them way bigger than our '98 was.

They do, at least for some values of "way". (And sometimes
"weigh.")

Most models tend to expand over...
Forum: Technology January 30th 09, 08:06 PM Posted to alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.gm
Replies: 39
2009 Car and Driver 10 Best Cars - no Lexus, no surprise?

> Of course that *should* also rule out econoboxes like Fit and Accord.

Don't look now, but the Accord is EPA classified as a "large" car, and
with the V6 (three liters and 270 horsepower!) it can...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 343