Showing results 1 to 25 of 57
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Neil[_2_]
Forum: Technology April 10th 08, 05:32 AM Posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc
Replies: 2
Posted By Neil[_2_]
Driving With Two Brakes - Part Two

"z" > wrote in message
On Apr 5, 2:17 pm, "Neil" > wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for...
Forum: Driving April 10th 08, 05:32 AM Posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc

"z" > wrote in message
On Apr 5, 2:17 pm, "Neil" > wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for...
Forum: General April 10th 08, 05:32 AM Posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc

"z" > wrote in message
On Apr 5, 2:17 pm, "Neil" > wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for...
Forum: Technology April 6th 08, 11:10 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.vw
Replies: 8
Posted By Neil[_2_]
Driving With Two Brakes - Part Two

>>BTW, none of the groups are bogus. I'm able to read replies in all of
>>them.
>>Perhaps your ISP just doesn't list them.
>
> 'judy' the troll replied in these threads I think... it adds all...
Forum: Technology April 6th 08, 08:31 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.vw
Replies: 8
Posted By Neil[_2_]
Driving With Two Brakes - Part Two

> It also evaporates. Get the shoes hot and it's gone. But if they soak in
> it long enough (like months) the binders in the pads can start to
> disintegrate.

I guess that would agree with what the...
Forum: Technology April 6th 08, 08:25 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.vw

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> Our car needed one wheel cylinder for a safety certification when we
> bought it....
Forum: Technology April 6th 08, 03:43 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By Neil[_2_]
Driving With Two Brakes - Part Two

> wrote in message
> If there are other auto parts stores such as O'Reilly's in your area,
> they might have them.
Forum: General April 6th 08, 12:34 AM Posted to alt.autos,rec.auto,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.vw
Replies: 21
Posted By Neil[_2_]
Driving With Two Brakes

"Brent P" > wrote in message
> In article >, Nate Nagel wrote:
>>Brent P...
Forum: Driving April 6th 08, 12:34 AM Posted to alt.autos,rec.auto,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.vw
Replies: 50
Posted By Neil[_2_]
Driving With Two Brakes

"Brent P" > wrote in message
> In article >, Nate Nagel wrote:
>>Brent P...
Forum: Driving April 5th 08, 10:41 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 1
Posted By Neil[_2_]
Driving With Two Brakes - Part Two

> Too bad the OP isn't near me, I'd pull the car into my driveway and have
> it fixed up in a couple hours for parts and a half case of Yuengling... a
> brake job on a VW is almost fun, as far as...
Forum: Driving April 5th 08, 10:37 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 50
Posted By Neil[_2_]
Driving With Two Brakes

"Arif Khokar" > wrote in message
> Neil wrote:
>
>> Yes, you're probably right. I was just thinking about a time that I paid
>> like $12...
Forum: Driving April 5th 08, 07:22 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 50
Posted By Neil[_2_]
Driving With Two Brakes

> Forgot to mention, to the OP: a Bentley repair manual for your car will
> cost about the same as an hour's labor charge, and is an invaluable
> resource for DIY maintenance. If you are starting...
Forum: Driving April 5th 08, 07:07 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 50
Posted By Neil[_2_]
Driving With Two Brakes

>> Yes, but that's the price at the store. The shop would mark it up about
>> 100%, so it would be much more.
>
> Probably not... the garage gets a discount from their supplier, so they
> pay even...
Forum: Driving April 5th 08, 07:01 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos
Replies: 50
Posted By Neil[_2_]
Driving With Two Brakes

> Well, since the failure condition is indicated to the driver via an
> IDIOT LIGHT, there is no need to understand how they work.

Re. idiot light, the complete situation was that the car was...
Forum: General April 5th 08, 07:01 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos
Replies: 21
Posted By Neil[_2_]
Driving With Two Brakes

> Well, since the failure condition is indicated to the driver via an
> IDIOT LIGHT, there is no need to understand how they work.

Re. idiot light, the complete situation was that the car was...
Forum: Driving April 5th 08, 04:37 AM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 50
Posted By Neil[_2_]
Driving With Two Brakes

> Actually that price sounds about right for only shoes and wheel cylinders.
> I don't recall what year but for '86 rear shoes are under $20 at NAPA and
> cylinders are $8 each. You have to remove...
Forum: Driving April 5th 08, 02:36 AM Posted to rec.autos.driving
Replies: 50
Posted By Neil[_2_]
Driving With Two Brakes

> You can fix it yourself if you are at all mechanically inclined. this is
> not a difficult job and the parts ought to be inexpensive. I would repack
> the rear wheel bearings while you're in...
Forum: General April 5th 08, 02:20 AM Posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc
Replies: 21
Posted By Neil[_2_]
Driving With Two Brakes

> Considering it's a mechanical hand brake mechanism, fluid (or lack
> thereof) isn't going to do anything, unless both rears are so
> contaminated the brake shoes won't hold in the drums.
>
> Seems...
Forum: Driving April 5th 08, 02:20 AM Posted to alt.autos,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc
Replies: 50
Posted By Neil[_2_]
Driving With Two Brakes

> Considering it's a mechanical hand brake mechanism, fluid (or lack
> thereof) isn't going to do anything, unless both rears are so
> contaminated the brake shoes won't hold in the drums.
>
> Seems...
Forum: Driving April 5th 08, 02:13 AM Posted to alt.autos,rec.auto,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.vw
Replies: 50
Posted By Neil[_2_]
Driving With Two Brakes

> If you have to make this kind of 'correction', just how
> clueless are you? And please post where this car is likely to driven
> so that I and other readers can avoid it.

I'm pretty clueless....
Forum: General April 5th 08, 02:13 AM Posted to alt.autos,rec.auto,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.vw
Replies: 21
Posted By Neil[_2_]
Driving With Two Brakes

> If you have to make this kind of 'correction', just how
> clueless are you? And please post where this car is likely to driven
> so that I and other readers can avoid it.

I'm pretty clueless....
Forum: Driving April 5th 08, 12:42 AM Posted to alt.autos,rec.auto,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.vw
Replies: 50
Posted By Neil[_2_]
Driving With Two Brakes

An additional note re. this. The reason this came to light was because my
son's emergency brake wasn't holding the wheels. He brought it in, asking
them to adjust the emergency brake, and they told...
Forum: General April 5th 08, 12:42 AM Posted to alt.autos,rec.auto,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.vw
Replies: 21
Posted By Neil[_2_]
Driving With Two Brakes

An additional note re. this. The reason this came to light was because my
son's emergency brake wasn't holding the wheels. He brought it in, asking
them to adjust the emergency brake, and they told...
Forum: General April 5th 08, 12:29 AM Posted to alt.autos,rec.auto,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.vw
Replies: 21
Posted By Neil[_2_]
Driving With Two Brakes

Correction to the below. The rear brakes are drum brakes, not brake shoes.

"Neil" > wrote in message
> What are the dangers of...
Forum: Driving April 5th 08, 12:29 AM Posted to alt.autos,rec.auto,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.vw

"Neil" > wrote in message
> What are the dangers of...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 57