Showing results 1 to 25 of 139
Search took 0.54 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Doc
Forum: Technology March 18th 13, 10:39 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Replies: 4
Posted By Doc
Have you ever heard of someone cashing in on an antifreeze guarantee?

I've seen these guarantees on antifreeze bottles, do they ever
actually pay out? How often do you have the same antifreeze sit in the
car for the duration, never spewing out, never having to be...
Forum: Technology March 14th 13, 12:06 AM Posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Doc
Possible explanation for low oil pressure light after cam seal install

On Mar 13, 8:01*pm, Doc > wrote:

> Per a Sunpro gauge it shows about a needle width over 5 psi at hot
> idle @ 700rpm.

And about 55 psi at 3000 rpm.
Forum: Technology March 14th 13, 12:01 AM Posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech

On Mar 11, 5:33*pm, "uncle_vito" > wrote:

> I would use a mechanical gauge to be certain of your pressure. * Perhaps you
> did some damage before your seal repair by running...
Forum: Technology March 12th 13, 04:28 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
Replies: 2
Posted By Doc
Anyone ever tested Sunpro oil pressure gauge for accuracy?

Wondering how accurate a Sunpro oil pressure gauge is likely to be -
trying to determined whether I have an oil pressure issue.

Anyone ever checked one against a known accurate gauge?
Forum: Technology March 11th 13, 10:17 PM Posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By Doc
Thread size/pitch on Toyota 7MGE oil pressure sender?

On the metric sizer it seems to best fit an M10 x 1 thread however
it's tapered. Can anyone identify what size it is?

Thanks
Forum: Technology March 11th 13, 04:59 PM Posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Doc
Possible explanation for low oil pressure light after cam seal install

"...Engine otherwise runs like a close..."

Like a clock I of course meant.
Forum: Technology March 11th 13, 04:54 PM Posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Doc
Possible explanation for low oil pressure light after cam seal install

89 Toyota Cressida recently mentioned in here with bad cam seal. Going
down the road and find that a temp fix with Permatex on the seal
didn't hold, by 200 miles into a trip the engine is...
Forum: Technology March 7th 13, 04:00 PM Posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By Doc
Sealant on cam seals on 89 Cressida 7MGE?

Turns out my previously mentioned issue of oil leakage isn't due to
the valve cover gaskets, it's the cam seals. Do you recommend using
any sealant on the outer diameter of cam seals aside from...
Forum: Technology March 7th 13, 03:56 PM Posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Doc
Toyota 7MGE valve cover oil leak passenger side

On Mar 7, 7:23*am, Tegger > wrote:

> Are you making sure the gasket and its receiving surfaces are bone-dry
> before assembling? Any oil film anywhere will allow seepage.

Turns...
Forum: Technology March 7th 13, 10:18 AM Posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Doc
Toyota 7MGE valve cover oil leak passenger side

Have an 89 Toyota Cressida with a 7MGE DOHC 6 engine. For a while I've
had a chronic, persistent oil leak on the passenger valve cover. On
the driver side, I hand tighten the valve cover seat of the...
Forum: Technology November 23rd 12, 02:46 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By Doc
Why do some spark plugs have a screw-on contact terminal?

The subject mostly says it. Why do some plugs have these terminals
that screw on as opposed to a solid piece?
Forum: Technology January 17th 12, 12:11 AM Posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Replies: 36
Posted By Doc
Want a NON-LEAKING valve cover install on Toyota Cressida w/7MGE DOHC 6

Putting in valve cover gaskets on my 89 - 7MGE. Gasket seats in a
channel around the cover. Anyone know of any tricks for ensuring a
leakless install?

Thanks!
Forum: Technology October 18th 11, 07:32 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By Doc
locking gas cap: opinions?

On Oct 14, 6:17*pm, Tom > wrote:

> I expect that you go both ways, haha

Lol...good one, even if the obligatory troll never sees it.
Forum: Technology October 18th 11, 07:30 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By Doc
locking gas cap: opinions?

On Oct 14, 12:25*pm, Tom > wrote:
> as the nightmare scenario, the tank needs gas because I can't get the locking
> cap off - from lost key, or ice, or some malfunction.
>
> also, where...
Forum: Technology October 18th 11, 07:25 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By Doc
locking gas cap: opinions?

On Oct 17, 9:11*am, "hls" > wrote:

> Thirty years ago children may have been more receptive to
> attempts to correct them. * One of the reasons that American
> children do so poorly...
Forum: Technology April 14th 08, 11:19 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota
Replies: 2
Posted By Doc
Disabling alarm on '89 Toyota Cressida

Keeps going off spontaneously. I've asked about this before and
someone suggested removing a fuse, but there doesn't appear to one on
the main fuse block that's in the engine compartment. So far...
Forum: Technology March 7th 08, 02:26 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Replies: 1
Posted By Doc
How to access shift shaft seal on C4 on '66 Fairlane?

Here are pics with the neutral switch and kickdown lever removed. What
do I need to do from here to get to the...
Forum: Ford Mustang March 7th 08, 02:26 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Replies: 2
Posted By Doc
How to access shift shaft seal on C4 on '66 Fairlane?

Here are pics with the neutral switch and kickdown lever removed. What
do I need to do from here to get to the...
Forum: Technology January 4th 08, 04:48 AM Posted to alt.autos.toyota, rec.autos.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By Doc
Power steering issue after drain/refill on '89 Toyota Cressida

I find that after an engine install during which I drained the power
steering, sometimes when first starting up, the power steering only
works within about a 45 degree range of motion of the steering...
Forum: Technology December 12th 07, 02:05 PM Posted to alt.autos.toyota, rec.autos.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By Doc
Cressida w/newly rebuilt engine suddenly developed a miss

On Dec 10, 2:00 pm, "Danny G." > wrote:
> > It's had a
> > couple of head rebuilds since the car
> > was new but I don't know for a
> > fact whether this was checked. I think
Forum: Technology December 10th 07, 12:29 PM Posted to alt.autos.toyota, rec.autos.tech

On Dec 10, 7:13 am, "Stewart DIBBS" > wrote:

> >I rebuilt the 7MGE in this Cressida about 1200 miles ago, it was
> > running like a clock this morning. I fired it up tonight and it
Forum: Technology December 10th 07, 07:28 AM Posted to alt.autos.toyota, rec.autos.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By Doc
Cressida w/newly rebuilt engine suddenly developed a miss

I rebuilt the 7MGE in this Cressida about 1200 miles ago, it was
running like a clock this morning. I fired it up tonight and it
displayed a severe miss.

I'm getting spark from all distributor...
Forum: Technology December 4th 07, 01:34 PM Posted to alt.autos.toyota, rec.autos.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By Doc
Why would turning on A/C kill the engine?

Not an issue with my car but my neighbor's. He has I believe he said a
'92 Camry and said that whenever they turn on the A/C running down the
road, the engine dies immediately. Runs fine otherwise....
Forum: Technology November 28th 07, 10:27 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech, sci.econ, alt.politics.economics, sci.chem
Replies: 8
Posted By Doc
Gas prices have tripled or more in recent years, why not the price oflubricating oil?

It's been what, 5 - 7 years or so since we last saw $1/gal gas in the
US? Now it's $3 - $4. In that same time, a quart of non-synth oil has
gone up, but not nearly as dramatically.

Why so? Isn't the...
Forum: Technology November 28th 07, 10:03 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech, alt.autos.toyota
Replies: 12
Posted By Doc
Replace 1994 Escort Fuel Pump at 200,000?