Showing results 1 to 25 of 57
Search took 4.28 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: AshMan
Forum: VW air cooled March 15th 10, 01:12 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 14
Posted By AshMan
Stainless steel exhaust studs - are they a good idea?

On Mar 13, 12:25*pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
> I only use copper or brass(my first choice) nuts on standard steel studs....
> no problems removing them...

If I could find stainless...
Forum: VW air cooled January 17th 10, 08:36 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 6
Posted By AshMan
4 wire alternator annoyances

On Jan 17, 12:21*am, " > wrote:
> ... The car did not exhibit this behavior, ever, until I put this
> alternator in. The first one never did this, the second one...
Forum: VW air cooled August 10th 08, 02:08 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 8
Posted By AshMan
Cip1 Torque Tool - Do They Break Easily?

On Aug 9, 3:27*am, wrote:

> Do you think this tool would break if I used it to remove the gland
> nut on my 1973 Type I engine?
> I was thinking of not going over 30 ft. lbs. which...
Forum: VW air cooled November 27th 07, 03:34 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 3
Posted By AshMan
part of ignition switch?

Sounds like the electrical part of your ignition switch came apart.
Its not suppose to come out from the bottom. The electrical switch is
attached to the key cylinder housing by a small set screw. ...
Forum: VW air cooled October 11th 07, 05:08 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 7
Posted By AshMan
Clutch Pedal

Not sure if this will help...

There was a small article in a recent Hot VW magazine (Sep-Oct 2007
Tech Talk) that talked about two possible reasons for your problem:

1) The clutch disc mating...
Forum: VW air cooled October 4th 07, 03:48 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 4
Posted By AshMan
Mounting clip on fan shroud for gas line?

Just remember to lube the round portion of the clip so it slips into
the hole in the fan shroud. It may help to twist it a little as you
press it in, but be careful. I broke two of mine trying to...
Forum: VW air cooled September 7th 07, 04:27 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 9
Posted By AshMan
OIL light off, Brake light ON

On Sep 4, 4:14 am, Manuel Macedo > wrote:
> But if this was the problem, the light would still be lit with the turn of
> the key. As I understand it, when you turn the key,...
Forum: VW air cooled September 6th 07, 04:42 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 9
Posted By AshMan
Rear drums...

While they may not be stuck on the brakes, the shoes may have worn
into the drums creating a groove. Have you tried adjusting the brake
shoes inward (instead of the normal out) so they clear the...
Forum: VW air cooled September 4th 07, 01:36 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 17
Posted By AshMan
Frontend Height issues, lowering?

On Sep 4, 7:15 am, Andrew > wrote:
> The PO has huge sway bars on the front and rear, is this the problem?
No, unless the sway bars are hung up on something outside the...
Forum: VW air cooled July 21st 07, 07:30 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 15
Posted By AshMan
starter probs

On Jul 21, 3:28 pm, AshMan > wrote:
> This article goes over how the starter is wired and the installation
> of the booster relay (bottom of page).

It might help if I actually...
Forum: VW air cooled July 21st 07, 07:28 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 15
Posted By AshMan
starter probs

On Jul 21, 10:56 am, Speedy Jim > wrote:
> When you get tired of replacing ignition switches, etc.,
> put a booster relay in the circuit.

The booster relay Speedy Jim is talking about...
Forum: VW air cooled June 18th 07, 05:07 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
Posted By AshMan
Outside scraper installation

Thanks for the details. I have this to look forward to on both my
door since the outside scrapers are cracked.

AshMan40
Forum: VW air cooled June 15th 07, 02:54 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 3
Posted By AshMan
Universal Corp. Silver CDI units

On Jun 15, 8:51 am, Berg > wrote:

> There once was kits to build out there, but I know of no-one still produced.
>
> J.

I recently (Feb 2007) bought a multi-spark CDI kit...
Forum: VW air cooled June 5th 07, 11:02 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 10
Posted By AshMan
electronic ignition

Have run two different electronic units in my Bug.

First was an Empi Accu-Fire unit and the second was a Compufire, both
for the stock '74 single vacuum adv distributor. The Empi looked
exactly the...
Forum: VW air cooled May 22nd 07, 08:01 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 3
Posted By AshMan
'71 Beetle, broken lower ball-joint

Try Wolfgang International (http://www.wolfgangint.com). That's where
I bought my rebuilt trailing arms w/ new Ball Joints. I shopped
around and they seemed to have the best deal.

Search their...
Forum: VW air cooled May 15th 07, 03:42 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 4
Posted By AshMan
Stalls on acceleration

Sorry, you said Weber... forget the comment about the Solex 34PICT-3 +
009.

AshMan40
Forum: VW air cooled May 15th 07, 03:41 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 4
Posted By AshMan
Stalls on acceleration

On May 15, 9:59 am, "Woody" > wrote:
> When I hit the gas, my weber carb sounds like it is sucking to much air,
> than engine dies. I have check for a vacuum leak...I did notice that...
Forum: VW air cooled May 15th 07, 03:30 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 14
Posted By AshMan
No Power???

One other thing to check since you mentioned weak battery problems is
the voltage at the coil and electronic ignition module.

The Pertronix needs a min voltage to work properly. If you have...
Forum: VW air cooled May 15th 07, 03:15 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 14
Posted By AshMan
No Power???

On May 15, 10:44 am, "MicroBiz" > wrote:
> well no luck, checked the dwell, with the pertonix ignition, no matter how I
> adjust the module I can only get a dwell reading of 70.
> I...
Forum: VW air cooled May 14th 07, 10:53 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 14
Posted By AshMan
No Power???

On May 14, 12:58 am, "MicroBiz" > wrote:

> As far as the dwell goes, I put in a Pertronix ignition but never thought to
> check it after, didn't think it would need adjusting...
Forum: VW air cooled May 12th 07, 06:12 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
Posted By AshMan
Help! Timing (electrical?) problem in my 73 bug.

On May 12, 4:06 am, wrote:
> Well, I've almost completed a mechanical overhaul of my 73 standard,
> but have run into a major problem... I'm trying to run through the
Forum: VW air cooled May 2nd 07, 01:47 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 9
Posted By AshMan
Stainless brake line lengths?

On Apr 25, 5:45 am, Michael Cecil > wrote:
> I'm ordering some stainless brake hoses (finally) to replace the 37 year
> old rubber hoses on my deathtrap, er, bug. :)
>
> Does...
Forum: VW air cooled April 28th 07, 03:39 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 5
Posted By AshMan
Test dimmer relay

Well, I tore into my dimmer relay today. The resistor that I thought
was blown seems okay. My multimeter reads 98ohms of resistance in
either direction. So it's still good and not a diode like I...
Forum: VW air cooled April 25th 07, 03:10 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 3
Posted By AshMan
72 Brake Line

FYI - I've taken a closer look at how the tubing runs thru my RHD STD
Beetle. Since the MC and pedal group are on the right side of the
tunnel the steel tubing routes along the right side of the...
Forum: VW air cooled April 23rd 07, 02:31 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 5
Posted By AshMan
Test dimmer relay

Okay, now I'm a little upset (just a little).

My new Dimmer Relay lasted a whole day before it too stopped working.
Unlike my original relay, it got stuck in the High Beam position.
Can't be driving...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 57