Showing results 1 to 25 of 47
Search took 1.32 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Jc Maxwell
Forum: Technology April 15th 16, 03:03 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By Jc Maxwell
Oil change intervals?

It is one of those things that just never gets settled.

My owner's manual says 5000 miles for oil changes, less only if on the "severe duty" schedule (which is not how I drive it). So I pretty much...
Forum: Technology April 13th 16, 05:27 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Jc Maxwell
What bluetooth OBD tester do you recommend

On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 7:43:37 PM UTC-6, Harold R wrote:
> I want an Android or iOS OBD tester.
> Any recommendations?
> Car is 2002 OBD2

I have owned the BAFX Products 34t5 for a few weeks. ...
Forum: Technology March 28th 16, 06:57 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By Jc Maxwell
Mobil 3309 transaxle fluid

True. I had significant advantages when I was doing my transmission service:

1) access to a lift;
2) oil catch pan on a rolling frame. The frame was tall enough and the catch pan long enough to...
Forum: Technology March 28th 16, 05:07 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By Jc Maxwell
Mobil 3309 transaxle fluid

Absence of a transmission oil drain plug is seemingly fairly common.

My Ford 4R70W transmission didn't have a drain plug. Had to drain it by removing the transmission oil pan. Which was just as...
Forum: Technology March 22nd 16, 04:31 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 39
Posted By Jc Maxwell
Wal-Mart Auto Tire Scam

On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 8:41:35 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:
> Except the big stores have been doing this for longer than walmart has
> been around. It's just more obvious now because the level of...
Forum: Technology March 21st 16, 09:33 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 39
Posted By Jc Maxwell
Wal-Mart Auto Tire Scam

Can't say I'm terribly surprised to read this about cheap tires sold at Wally World.

I had a similar feeling about Primewell, which apparently is a cheap Chinese brand made for Firestone shops. ...
Forum: Technology March 16th 16, 09:25 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By Jc Maxwell
Tire feedback

I think with tires, you really do get what you pay for.

Nearly 6 years ago, I had a set of four Michelin Green X 225/60R16 tires installed on my car at Costco.

No, they weren't cheap. I think even...
Forum: Technology March 16th 16, 05:27 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Jc Maxwell
Interchange

On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 4:34:09 PM UTC-6, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
> On 03/14/2016 11:29 AM, Cole Harren wrote:
>
> > Is Mazda and mitsubishi interchangeable
>
> Almost certainly not.

Forum: Technology March 11th 16, 09:47 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Jc Maxwell
How long do you run your Serpentine Belts

On Friday, March 11, 2016 at 1:16:01 PM UTC-7, >>>Ashton Crusher wrote:
> How long do you run your Serpentine Belts?

I don't even know!

I acquired the car at 58000 miles and have driven it to...
Forum: Technology March 7th 16, 10:25 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 239
Posted By Jc Maxwell
Need your advice on a good inside automotive tire patch

I have only been lucky enough to have a repairable tire injury once or twice in my life. On my last set of tires, four Michelins nearly became three Michelins, but I was "lucky" enough for the screw...
Forum: Technology March 1st 16, 04:07 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Jc Maxwell
1987(?) Crown Vic Back window shattered after driving over median!

On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 1:53:31 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> Friend of mine's 87 Vic was speeding through strip
> mall parking lot he was not familiar with after dark.
> I was in the...
Forum: Technology February 26th 16, 09:22 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Jc Maxwell
Tuneups

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 7:04:10 PM UTC-7, >>>Ashton Crusher wrote:
> Yeah, my 92 explorer had some problem spark plugs and missed badly and
> the CEL never came on. Must be too old a...
Forum: Technology February 25th 16, 05:30 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Jc Maxwell
Tuneups

I do not know under what conditions the CEL comes on; surely it varies by manufacturer to an extent.

Years ago some of the spark plug wires on my 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis had gone bad. This...
Forum: Technology February 25th 16, 04:45 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Jc Maxwell
"Your car doesn't HAVE a pcv valve"

This topic got me interested, and I did some reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankcase_ventilation_system

Points of note:

So before the PCV was invented, internal combustion engines mostly...
Forum: Technology February 25th 16, 03:56 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By Jc Maxwell
Honda is already recalling the brand new 2016 Civic.

On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 5:38:39 PM UTC-7, JR wrote:
> www.cnet.com ...Recalls R US

Ouch.

"Catastrophic engine...
Forum: Technology February 19th 16, 05:19 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By Jc Maxwell
Denmark slaps a 180 percent tax rate on cars.

So they make it incredibly, artificially expensive to own a car...so, naturally, people drive the most worn-out, oldest pieces of junk they can still technically get on the road.

What could possibly...
Forum: Technology February 16th 16, 03:52 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Jc Maxwell
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis shock replacement

Replaced the rear shocks over the weekend. It went smoothly, it just took forever because I only had room to turn the top bolts about 1/8 turn at a go.

Really wished I had one of those Snap-On...
Forum: Technology February 10th 16, 05:16 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Jc Maxwell
Stuck passenger door lock (1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS)

On Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 10:19:50 AM UTC-7, Bill Vanek wrote:
> It's likely that the battery contacts in the fob have some corrosion,
> and that is why the remote started working after the...
Forum: Technology February 9th 16, 06:21 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech

On Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 10:08:20 AM UTC-7, Steve W. wrote:
> Considering that the OEM ones were closer to grade 2 they will be just
> fine.

Realistically I'm probably not going to do a...
Forum: Technology February 9th 16, 05:09 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Jc Maxwell
Stuck passenger door lock (1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS)

Somehow the cell that was in the fob was apparently drained enough (measured at 5.03 V) that the fob wouldn't work. When I put in a fresh Rayovac CR 2032, presto, the car again answered to the fob. ...
Forum: Technology February 9th 16, 04:37 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech

On Monday, February 8, 2016 at 3:09:17 PM UTC-7, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> Stainless if you ever plan on shock work again.
> Plain old mild steel other wise.

Maybe Grade 5 is "good enough"...
Forum: Technology February 8th 16, 04:26 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech

On Sunday, February 7, 2016 at 11:57:17 PM UTC-7, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> Jc Maxwell wrote:
> > I spent the majority of yesterday attempting to install new shocks. Hours and hours of
> > lift...
Forum: Technology February 8th 16, 06:15 AM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Jc Maxwell
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis shock replacement

I spent the majority of yesterday attempting to install new shocks. Hours and hours of lift time, for what should have been a 2 hour job, tops.

It took so long because I had to first figure out...
Forum: Technology February 5th 16, 04:50 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Jc Maxwell
1998 Mercury Grand Marquis shock replacement

Found this very relevant page via another forum (crownvic.net):

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/suspension/shocks/rear/index.html
Forum: Technology February 5th 16, 04:36 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech

On Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 7:30:08 PM UTC-7, Bill Vanek wrote:
> I don't know how that system works, but in general, a battery that
> stays dead for an extended period can let a device lose its...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 47