Showing results 1 to 25 of 347
Search took 1.56 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: John[_28_]
Forum: VW air cooled October 4th 17, 10:23 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
Posted By John[_28_]
'74 Super Beetle - Bad ignition switch?

Almost certainly yes. There are a number of different types of switch
configuration, plastic , metal of varying quality. I find I have to take the
switch out to confirm type and then buy switch....
Forum: VW air cooled February 25th 17, 11:19 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 1
Posted By John[_28_]
Vapour Lock in T3

After running around town in 43 Deg C temps the T3 refused to restart. Turns
out to be Vapour Lock due to heat. Car was
got going by pressurising fuel tank. It occurred to me though that if the...
Forum: VW air cooled November 2nd 14, 09:24 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 0
Posted By John[_28_]
Yeh, there all like that!

I look at a few other similar sites to Ramva and its so common to hear
someone comment that their "official" Service Manager just says "Yeh,
their all like that" in response to some fault and...
Forum: VW air cooled July 4th 14, 10:25 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
Posted By John[_28_]
Nobody makes brake repair kits anymore?

Havnt seen a "factory kit" for yonks but in Aust there are master cylinder
rebuilders who bore out the cylinder and
set in a stainless steel or brass ( from memory) "sleeve" and fit new seals
to...
Forum: VW air cooled June 9th 14, 09:21 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 8
Posted By John[_28_]
Rotor, without the 12 k-ohms resistance

Would have been interesting to see the CRO traces. With an
inductive/resistive circuit the time constant is L/R so decreasing R makes
time constant greater which ties up with your results.
I...
Forum: VW air cooled December 19th 13, 10:56 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 4
Posted By John[_28_]
Drilling out sump plate holes ACCURATELY

Just a thought. I,ve never seen a "guide" as such but..... is it possible to
reverse the plate and bolt it to sump via say 2 bolts and drill remaining
holes using that as guide?.
Swap over to drill...
Forum: VW air cooled September 20th 13, 02:08 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 1
Posted By John[_28_]
More on oils

Recently I asked Penrite about oils and how quite a few VW owners in Aust
use Diesel Oil for their AC VW,s. What surprised me is they took some effort
for a long reply
and also in particular I...
Forum: VW air cooled August 25th 13, 06:06 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 3
Posted By John[_28_]
Windscreen rubber trim

Going to replace the windcreen rubber on the squareback. Don,t have any
problems with the process having done quite a few other windows before.
Except, for the soft aluminium trim. Anyone know...
Forum: VW air cooled August 15th 13, 04:31 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
Posted By John[_28_]
Briggs and Stratton!

Very mild temp variations I suspect compared to States or UK. Anywhere from
a freezing 4 deg C to stinking hot 35 deg C!!!!!.
Scarcity is probably more related to almost no (none?) vehicles using...
Forum: VW air cooled July 11th 13, 05:18 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
Posted By John[_28_]
Briggs and Stratton!

Always preferred to use monograde oil( for no overwhelming reason) for the
T3 but its as rare as
the proverbial in Aust. Was over at the local Hardware shop and noticed
Briggs and Stratton have on...
Forum: VW air cooled June 4th 13, 12:10 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 0
Posted By John[_28_]
Rear torsion bars?

Was fiddling around under rear of squareback and noticed top of bump rubbers
were about 1/2 inch off the stop. Would have thought it should be greater
than that. I suppose its conceivable
torsion...
Forum: VW air cooled May 21st 13, 09:03 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 38
Posted By John[_28_]
What did you do to your VW today?

Retired with a 70 Squareback as a daily driver. Wife has Sonata, excellent
car but soulless.
Only real bother seems to be starting when hot which it seems is a function
of the volatility...
Forum: VW air cooled April 29th 13, 07:53 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 7
Posted By John[_28_]
My odometer has lost its mind!

There is a little white gear that drives the readout assembly. Gets loose on
shaft
which lets now disconnected readout vibrate to wherever it wants. Used a
tiny bit of superglue on mine after...
Forum: VW air cooled April 29th 13, 03:16 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 15
Posted By John[_28_]
swing axle nuts - Guru advice appreciated.

Who was it that said "give me a big enough lever and I,ll move the world"?.

"tricky" wrote in message

On 28/04/13 11:19, KWW wrote:
Forum: VW air cooled April 21st 13, 10:07 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 0
Posted By John[_28_]
Not many VW,s in Turkey

Just spent 11 days touring Turkey and only saw one VW. A Beetle about 65
vintage, probably a 1300 from script on boot.( script was in Turkish!).
Pottering along gamely in middle of 3 lane...
Forum: VW air cooled February 19th 13, 04:00 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 10
Posted By John[_28_]
Got lots done, but lots of drama!

Your,re right with BME cars increasing debt. ie namely mine!!. Snapped
axles, collapsing diffs, rust, 1st gear/diff ratio so low it was really a 3
speed box.
Bodies basically a good design but...
Forum: VW air cooled February 16th 13, 10:56 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 10
Posted By John[_28_]
Got lots done, but lots of drama!

They were still making 1200,s in 1972? In Australia I seem to recall they
stopped around ,66. My first Beetle was the 1300 and it was a 66, not sure
the 1200 was even an option.. Nearly killed...
Forum: VW air cooled February 2nd 13, 03:08 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 4
Posted By John[_28_]
Cal Look

Re photo , You,d recognise those tucked in rear wheels anywhere wouldn,t
you.

"vwluvrs" wrote in message

Drove past the infamous...
Forum: VW air cooled January 2nd 13, 08:51 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 3
Posted By John[_28_]
IRC anyone ?

Apparently the survival of the world in 2012 is a result of a
miscalculation. 2015 apparently
is the correct date. 2 oil changes to go! Suppose there isn,t much point
though is there?

"KWW" ...
Forum: VW air cooled December 20th 12, 10:58 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 7
Posted By John[_28_]
'71 Ghia jumpy fuel guage

With the regulator its also easy to "uncrimp" the edges, take apart and
clean connector.
Recrimp together again. Its simply a heater element coupled to a bimetal
strip that opens
a pair of...
Forum: VW air cooled October 12th 12, 09:59 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 3
Posted By John[_28_]
Mechanical fuel sender

Get a sheet of gasket material from your car parts dealers. Usually a sheet
about A4 size for $4-$5 . There are various thicknesses. Got a hole punch
for screw holes?. Bit of a fiddle but a set of...
Forum: VW air cooled September 29th 12, 05:00 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
Posted By John[_28_]
Braking on a '71

It,d be a two circuit master cylinder that age. Even if there was air in one
circuit it shouldn,t go all the way to floor. Sound for all the world as if
there is air in both circuits. Can you give...
Forum: VW air cooled September 17th 12, 07:53 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
Posted By John[_28_]
I wonder what a 6 volt K.G. clock is worth?

Not that familiar with KG,s. Probably same size as T3 units though so
should be a market on ebay, especially as working. On my T3 the little catch
that engages the
winding gear had snapped so was...
Forum: VW air cooled September 8th 12, 08:26 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 0
Posted By John[_28_]
Ignore , testing

New PC set up for J&S, now back to John!
Forum: VW air cooled August 22nd 12, 02:41 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
Posted By John[_28_]
Trick for swollen inner brake hoses

Gotta do that when I get a bit of time ( ie when I,m not looking after
Grandkids!). Was wondering about job with lousy access. Good idea.
"Jan Andersson" > wrote in...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 347